Learn Everything There is to Know About Familiars in The Sims 4!
The Sims 4 familiars are an incredibly fun feature. Realm of Magic brought us many interesting elements, but familiars are an addition that every Sims 4 player must try!
If you’ve never been a spellcaster in the game and have no idea about what are familiars, then let us explain it like this. Familiars are basically pets, but for witches and warlocks. The difference between a pet and a familiar is that you can bind your Sim with a familiar to become eternal companions and help yourselves constantly.
But that’s not all! These magical creatures can be your spellcaster’s source of power since they have magical energy reserves. Also, they can aid you in duels, whenever you fight off another witch. And lastly, they can save your Sim from certain death!
Now, let’s take a look at where to find familiars in The Sims 4, how to bind them, and which one to choose!
Need help in Realm of Magic? Discover all The Sims 4: Realm of Magic cheats!
Familiars in The Sims 4
Since this is Realm of Magic and we’re dealing with spells and curses, it’s only fitting that our Sims’ companions are of magical nature too. So, the familiars in this Sims 4 pack are creatures like Phoenix or a Dragon. There are actually 11 different types of familiars in the game, all glowing and flowing with magic!
However, if you own the Cats & Dogs expansion pack, then know that you can bind your cat or a dog to be your familiar! You can take them with you to the magical world and grant them powers as well.
Types of Familiars in The Sims 4
- Bunnerfly – This interesting creature is an unexpected entity that defies normal boundaries and demands a closer inspection. Its true nature is unknown. Costs 250 simoleons.
- Fairy – Bathed in pure energy it is nigh impossible to make out the true form of a fairy beyond its magical wings. One can feel what can only be described as a slight spark when near. Costs 100 simoleons
- Raven – The harbingers of prophecy and, some say, bad luck. Ravens are an ancient creature that remains steadfast alongside their favorite Spellcasters. Costs 100 simoleons.
- Sixam Owl – The preeminent symbol of magic and ancient knowledge. They have a strong connection to the moon and stoically follow their chosen Spellcaster. Costs 100 simoleons.
- Dragon – Regal and powerful, this dragon should never be discounted based on its size. It is a formidable foe as well as a cherished companion. Costs 250 simoleons.
- Glowfrog – Be warned to avoid the direct gaze of the glowfrog. They are usually quite mischievous characters although quite harmless when left to their own devices. Costs 250 simoleons.
- Hex Doll – Despite this familiar being the mysterious and silent type you may still catch yourself whispering to them, “Do that voodoo that you do!” Costs 250 simoleons.
- Leafbat – A classic Spellcaster companion, bats have commonly been closely associated to magic users since the times of ancients. Costs 250 simoleons.
- Phoenix – The Phoenix is intimately familiar with the cycle of life, death, and rebirth. From the ashes they arise and into the ashes they fall. So has it always been. Costs 500 simoleons.
- Skull – When you need a protector that truly frightens your opponent consider the skull. It is hard not to be intimidated by this floating, haunting familiar. Costs 500 simoleons.
- Veild – The Veild is a Voidcritter deep with the knowledge of countless galaxies across space and time. No one really knows the true motivation of this critter, but that didn’t stop one well-known kids’ TV show from almost featuring the Veild as a main character. Costs 777 simoleons.
When it comes to using cats and dogs as familiars in The Sims 4, the process works almost the same as with the magical creatures. Note that you can only bind a cat or a dog that already lives with you, and not a stray one. However, once you do this, the cat or the dog will come with you to the Realm of Magic and do everything that a magical companion can do, and even more (like searching for brooms, wands, etc.)!
Having problems with your Spellcaster? Check all the cheats for spellcasting in The Sims 4: Realm of Magic!
Where to Find Familiars?
There are three different ways of obtaining a familiar.
The first one is to go to the Familiar shop in Caster’s Alley. Now, the case here is that every day there are 3 different types of familiars available for purchase. So, if you happen to not like any of the offered ones, just come back tomorrow!
The second way of obtaining familiars is to battle other spellcasters. Here, you must choose “Duel for Artifacts” in order for you to get the pet at the end of the duel.
And lastly, you can randomly find a familiar whenever you perform the “Search for Tomes” action. You’ll do this for new spells as well, so it won’t be too long before you find a familiar this way.
How to Bind Familiars?
The binding of familiars is fairly easy as well. All you have to do is click on the familiar you want to bind and select “Bind Familiar”. This will give you the option to rename the creature if that is what you want. Later you can rename them again if you change your mind. And that’s it!
And if you wish to unbind your current familiar and bind a new one, just click “Unbind Familiar”. This will put that familiar into your inventory and you can bind it again in the future.
Do you need some help Forgotten Hollow? Learn all the vampire cheats for The Sims 4!
How to Summon Familiars?
Familiars in The Sims 4 can be summoned through the Magic Menu. All you have to do is select your Sim, click on the Magic Menu, and then click again on any familiar you have in your inventory. The familiar will then appear on your screen and follow your Sim wherever they go!
There are tons of actions that you can do with your familiars in The Sims 4. They make for awesome pets in the Realm of Magic and they’re the perfect addition for spellcasters in the game! Our favorite one is the Phoenix. What’s yours?
If you need any further help, please visit our cheat page!