There are tons of fun-filled challenges for The Sims 4 that elevates the usual gameplay from plain and sometimes borderline boring to more exciting and, well, challenging. One of the famous Sims challenges is the Rags to Riches. We’ve summarized below all you need to know about this interesting The Sims 4 challenge. We’ll walk you through the rules, main goals, guidelines, and more. Enjoy!
What is the “Rags to Riches” Challenge in The Sims 4?
“Rags to Riches” or also referred to as “R2R” is a fun and popular challenge in The Sims 4. It aims to make your Sim rise to wealth from nothing. To complete the challenge, your Sim has to fulfill main goals, including Build a Home, Find a Job, and Start a Family. Each of these primary goals includes Mandatory Rules of the challenge, which your Sim has to fulfill first to complete the corresponding Main Goal/s. More on these rules later.
How to Start the Challenge
To start the Rags to Riches Sims 4 challenge, your Sim must start from scratch. It must have nothing. But how? To do this, you have two options: using the “money 0” cheat code or the Move Household option.
First option: Use the cheat console and type “testingcheats on” or “testingcheats true” then type “money 0”. This cheat will clear your existing Simoleons to 0.
Second option: Add your Sim to an existing household then move them into a lot using the “Split From Household” option from “Manage Households”. Make sure that your Sim has enough Simoleons + 1 extra Simoleon to afford the lot it will be moving into.
R2R Challenge Rules and Guidelines
- You cannot complete the Main Goals until you’ve completed their corresponding Mandatory Rules.
- Cheating and use of mods to ease the challenge are not allowed. You can only use cheat codes to move objects, take away your money, or reset your Sim.
- You could choose your Sim’s age and lifespan.
- Move your Sim to the most expensive empty lot and get rid of the Simoleons and possessions you have.
- Your spouse is not allowed to earn or make Simoleons without completing the Mandatory Rules and Main Goals.
- You can only place things at your Sim’s lot after completing the Mandatory Rules for Building a Home.
- Sleep in public areas or a friend’s home if you don’t own a bed.
- You can eat and make dishes in public places or your friend’s home, but taking the food with you when you leave is not allowed.
- You cannot keep any of the Simoleons earned through hobbies.
Rags to Riches: Main Goals of the Challenge and Mandatory Rules
As mentioned earlier, the Rags to Riches challenge has Main Goals that your primary Sim has to fulfill to complete the challenge. These main challenge goals are mandatory.
Build a Home
Have a fully-furnished home with the following features:
- At least three (3) bedrooms
- At least two (2) bathrooms
- A kitchen and a dining room
- A family or living room
- A study with at least one (1) computer
- An outdoor garden with a pool
Mandatory Steps for Building a Home:
- Level 5 Handiness Skill and Level 3 Logic
- Pay a fine of $500 for noise disturbances.
Mandatory Steps for Building a Garden:
- Finish all the Mandatory Steps for Building a Home.
- Reach Level 7 Handiness and Level 5 Gardening before you can begin building or placing items outside.
- Have at least one (1) bedroom with a bed, a bathroom with a toilet and shower, a living room, and a kitchen.
- Own at least one of the following: fridge, sink, stove, counter, table, chair, couch, and fire alarm.
- Blueprint cost $500.
Have a Family
- Get married.
- Become a grandparent.
Mandatory Steps for Having a Family:
- You must have a starter home before you can marry a Sim.
- Max out all your toddler’s skills before they can age up.
- A child must complete any of these options before you can age it up to a teen: Reach Level 5 in any skill and perfect grades, or reach Level 10 in any skill.
- To age up to a young adult, your teen Sim must complete one of these options: Reach Level 5 in 2 skills and a part-time job, or reach Level 10 in 2 skills.
- Host a wedding every time a pair of Sims get married.
Have a Career
- Choose any career or run a business.
- Earn the Entrepreneurial lifetime award.
- Reach level 10 of the chosen career branch. If running a business: earn $100,000 with fully-trained employees.
Mandatory Steps for Getting a Job:
- Finish all the Mandatory Steps for Building a Home.
- Pay 1000 Simoleons for a college degree to begin your career.
- Complete at least one Aspiration for your Sim and its spouse.
- Complete an Aspiration for each of your Sim’s children.
- Increase your home’s worth to §100,000 or more.
- Have at least §200,000 reserve money. You can increase this goal up to §1,000,000.
Unlike Mandatory Rules, Optional Rules in the Rags to Riches challenge are rules that you can either skip or do to make the game more exciting. These include the following:
Family and Relationships
- Have at least three more children and at least three more grandchildren.
- Have at least one child and its children live with your starter Sim.
- Get a divorce and remarry after you have kids. Keep the kids after the divorce.
- Have an amazing relationship with your kids.
- Woohoo in every place possible.
- Complete one of your children’s adult aspirations.
- Complete one of your grandchildren’s child aspirations.
- Complete one of your grandchildren’s adult aspirations.
- Have twins or triplets.
Skills and Career
- Get both your Sim and its spouse to Level 10 in their career.
- Have a part-time hobby while employed.
- Write every style book.
- Read every book.
- Reach Level 5 at all skills
- Place at least five (5) of your paintings on the walls of your home.
- Upgrade your house to a mansion using the most expensive items in the game.
Social and Parties
- Complete every type of party successfully.
- Throw 10 house parties with at least three (3) guests swim at each one.
- Host five (5) or more weddings.
- Purchase every lifetime reward for one Sim. Potions are excluded.
- Visit every public lot at least three (3) times.
- Raise your family’s worth to one million Simoleons.