View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:27 pm

Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Guild Wars 2: released August 28th! 
Sim Goddess
Sim Goddess

Name: Pinocchio
Roleplay: Your wildest fantasy
Post Guild Wars 2: released August 28th!
Let's gauge some interest in 2012's most hyped game! Is anyone planning on buying this game? I've been playing Guild Wars since its beta and I am so excited for this game! I've typed up a small introduction to the game for those why might not be in-the-know. There's a lot of information, so I've linked some videos if it becomes TL;DR. I'll type some more once I get more ideas about what to add haha.

---------------

Guild Wars 2 is the new MMORPG from developer ArenaNet, who's first game Guild Wars was a massive success with it's innovative features (such as fast-paced combat, instances questing areas and the fact that once bought, the game didn't require subscription fees). It'll be published by NCsoft, who have also developed popular MMOs like Lineage and Aion, and have also published the City of Heroes series.

Dynamic Events
The Dynamic Event system will replace the traditional questing system where you click a random NPC with a ! above their head, skip a whole wall of exposition and then kill 10 rats for their tails. Instead, when you are out exploring the world, you'll run into many Dynamic Events that you can choose to take part in (or you could just walk straight past it). Anyone can take part in a dynamic event with the system rewarding everyone based on how much they participated. Even if you fail the event, you can get rewarded. Because the system encourages teamwork, there is no kill stealing as everyone who kills a target will get rewarded for it. Guild Wars 2 will also combat the problem of being too high level for an area. In previous games, if you were at a higher level for a particular area, there would be no point in going back because it would be too easy and boring. GW2 will scale your character down to suit the area. You will still be more powerful than others who are at the right level but it will level out the playing field. It also means you can play with friends who might have created a new character or are just not at your level yet. There really is so much information that it might be easier to just watch a video of it being explained.
Spoiler:

Professions & Races
Guild Wars 2 will have 8 classes (professions) and 5 races. I'll let the official website introduce them. What Guild Wars 2 does different from other games in the genre is that it has completely removed the "holy trinity" of classes. The holy trinity is the idea that in each group, there has to be tanks (classes that soak up damage and keep mobs occupied), DPS (damage per second, or classes that can deal a lot of damage) and healers (which heal the tanks and anyone else who happens to get caught on the front line). There is no healer class in Guild Wars 2, meaning everyone has to manage their own healing (each character has to equip one heal in their skill bar). Everyone is capable of dealing lots of damage. All classes are capable of support, but no class can outright heal another member. This system allows for greater teamwork because everyone has to work together to keep each other alive using a variety of offence and defence skills, but also making players think about what they themselves are doing.

Combat
Combat is fluid. All skills/spells can be activated/cast while you're moving, so combat is fast and at times chaotic (the good type). Professions aren't linked to any specific weapon, so Warriors can wield rifles and Elementalists (mages) can wield daggers and still be effective. This is supported that skills are changed on-the-fly when you switch weapons; if you're playing a Warrior wielding a sword and shield but have to kill something that's up on a ledge, you can switch to a rifle and the skills on your skill bar will automatically change to suit the weapon (so when changing, sword and shield skills turn into rifle skills). This video demonstrates combat, weapon switching and some really awesome battles.
Spoiler:

----------------

There's a beta event coming up soon, so if you're able to get a beta key, we should totally play some!

Last edited by August on Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:35 am
Sim Goddess
Sim Goddess

Post Re: Guild Wars 2
[I'm going to reserve this post in case it gets too chaotic with information up in my first post.]

Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:35 am
Simsational Poster
Simsational Poster

Name: Sarah
MEE! I'm hyped! But you knew that. Also you changed your name. :P

I know there are troubles of more than one kind, they come from ahead and they come from behind. But I've brought a big bat, I'm all ready, you see. Now my troubles are gunna have troubles with me. ~Dr. Suess~

Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:50 pm
Sim Goddess
Sim Goddess

Yeah, I changed my name to something that was easier to type when I don't have an Icelandic keyboard installed. :p

Have you decided what race/professions you're going to play? When the game launches, I'm definitely going to create a Sylvari first. I love how they've only been around for about 25 years, so they're pretty naive when it comes to the world. I'm not sure what profession yet but it will definitely be a caster type.

Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:12 pm
Simsational Poster
Simsational Poster

Sylvari Elementalist all the way :D !!!
Me and my brother are going to be playing together for sure. :) Hopefully his friend will be able to join us by the time it comes out.

I know there are troubles of more than one kind, they come from ahead and they come from behind. But I've brought a big bat, I'm all ready, you see. Now my troubles are gunna have troubles with me. ~Dr. Suess~

Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:53 pm
Sim Goddess
Sim Goddess

Hehe the guild I was in for GW1 are already starting the preparations for the move to GW2. I have to start thinking of names for my characters, otherwise I'll be spend at least 15 minutes on the last page of the character creation page.

Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:04 pm
Simsational Poster
Simsational Poster

I love creating characters, but naming them is always a challenge. I do it in Sims and in every mmo I've ever played. I always end up with shit names.

Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:59 pm
Sim Goddess
Sim Goddess

I can imagine myself spending a lot of time in the character creation!

There's a pretty cool character creation tool on the internet already. I think my character will mostly be the same as this but the name will be different haha.

Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:35 pm
Simsational Poster
Simsational Poster

Yeah I've used all the character creation and skill bar creation tools that exist I'm pretty sure lol. *Not obsessed I swear*

Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:03 pm
Celestial
Celestial

I know I'm going to be a thief. The sylvari look cool, but I'm not sure if they're meant to be rouges.

Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:26 am
Simsational Poster
Simsational Poster

Yay! I did one.

You can get two and everything. It's upgraded since I did it.

Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:55 pm
Sim Goddess
Sim Goddess

Sylvari party!! We should definitely get some more people on here interested in the game and then maybe we could create a Snooty Sims guild seeing as we can be members of many guilds.

Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:21 pm
Simsational Poster
Simsational Poster

Mums wrote:
Sylvari party!! We should definitely get some more people on here interested in the game and then maybe we could create a Snooty Sims guild seeing as we can be members of many guilds.

That would be fun :D

Most of my current irl gaming friends don't have money/good enough computers, so I'm looking for more people to play with :)

Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:59 pm
Renderlicous
Renderlicous

Name: Jack

:yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

I never really got into the first Guild Wars, but one of my friends has been obsessing over GW2 for about a year now so I've kind of been talked into buying it.

Yeah, I'm useless with making up names, so I'll be changing it before the game comes out.

Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:02 am
Simsational Poster
Simsational Poster

If we made a Snooty Sims guild is would have alot of Sylvari. XD

Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:37 pm
Sim Goddess
Sim Goddess

Haha 3 dusk-born Sylvaris and 1 night-born. :p

Anyone planning on playing the next beta event? If all the leaks are right, it's going to be during the weekend starting the 20th (I hope so because I'm travelling the next weekend). I'm probably going to play a human Necromancer because I want to keep the character I want to play for when the game goes on actual release!

Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:51 pm
Simsational Poster
Simsational Poster

Mums wrote:
Haha 3 dusk-born Sylvaris and 1 night-born. :p

Anyone planning on playing the next beta event? If all the leaks are right, it's going to be during the weekend starting the 20th (I hope so because I'm travelling the next weekend). I'm probably going to play a human Necromancer because I want to keep the character I want to play for when the game goes on actual release!

Yeah if I get in a beta I will just be trying out all the classes and stuff, probably play a charr cause I don't really wanna play that race.

Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:24 am
Sim Goddess
Sim Goddess

I pre-purchased yeaaaaaah!!! Probably one of my most impulsive buys ever; I wasn't too hot on the fact that I'm paying retail price for a product that doesn't have a release date yet but I was like, "ahhh screw it" when I walked past Gamestop.

Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:45 pm
Simsational Poster
Simsational Poster

I GOT MY PRE-ORDERED COPY CONVERTED TO PRE-PURCHASED D:

Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:34 pm
Renderlicous
Renderlicous

Name: Jack
I really should get around to pre-purchasing it, especially if the Beta event is this weekend...

I don't know if I have a spare $90 lying around for it though. I mean, I have enough to buy it, but I really need to stop spending money and start saving.

Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:50 am
Reply to topic   [ 78 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next