View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Project: Pleasantview 
Sim Goddess
Sim Goddess

Name: Charlie
Post Re: Sims 2 to Sims 3 UBER-megahood
Wow!!! Looks great! That bella statue is actually pretty nice looking. Shame that in ts2 you only got to see it from miles away, looks like they put a lot of effort into it. And so did you!! :) the town is looking amazing, I hope you can work out how to stop bella from disapearing...

Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:20 pm
Renderlicous
Renderlicous

Name: Jack
So, it's been a while since my last update and I just wanted to post here to say that the project's not dead! I've been concentrating on more of the technical side of things rather than building, I've been finalising some terrain sculpting, beginning some more extensive terrain painting, and most importantly making sims. I've read a number of immensely helpful tutorials relating to premade sims, and am definitely sure on how to get them working in Edit in Game so they'll be packaged alongside the world!
I'll also be remaking not only the player controlled sims, but most of the NPC's (The Pleasantview ones at least) - the idea of Karen Gast's granddaughter (Also conveniently named Karen) being a babysitter was too awesome to pass on. The world will pick up right where TS2 left off, Daniel with be having an affair with Kaylynn, Cassandra and Don will be preparing for their wedding, Dina will be working her magic with Mortimer. Will I be doing townies? No way. 8 neighbourhoods worth would kill anybody. I'll be doing the more popular or memorable ones, Goopy GilsCarbo's wacky outfit and Brandi LeTourneau's trashcan-kicking ways will definitely be included. The NPC's will be based off Pleasantview's defaults, I don't see the point in having 8 sets of maids, papergirls, etc. Still not sure about the EP-specific NPC's, I might remake the two witches from Belladonna Cove, although they'll be pretty useless.
I've also read through a tutorial that details how to do a custom flyover intro, which I'll also be doing.

I updated the front page, as well! It was kind of in desperate need of some revamping. I have pictures as well, they'll be uploaded soon.

Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:47 am
Custom Title
Custom Title

Name: Hunter
Can you give me links? O.o Also i was wondering if you had this problem too and knew how to fix it. Whenever i try to export my own world to test it i add a name, description and downloaded a 24bit picture and put it as my thumbnail. But when i save and try to export it gives this pop-up that says
No Name
No Descriptioon
No Thumbnail
Even though there is. -.- Any help? Thanksss. Cant wait for this world!

Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:40 pm
Renderlicous
Renderlicous

:huh: That's never happened to me before. I guess you could try save as...ing it under another name and trying again. It could also be an update problem, re-install CAW from the link in the topic I just made (remember to back up everything first!) and try again.
The flyover and pre-populating tutorials are from an incredibly helpful wiki set up for CAW users. The flyover one is extremely time consuming though, there's a lot of switching in and out of the game, and you only get to see it once, when you've edited or updated it you have to delete that save game and make a new one. I've spent god known how many hours on it already and I'm nowhere near finished. :stare:
The custom sim ones looks pretty easy though, I've already started all that stuff. At the moment my families are sitting in the sim bin waiting to be transferred to the world when it's finally finished.

Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:53 pm
Custom Title
Custom Title

Haha, i saw those tutorials on pasimificandbeyond wikia. I immediately gave up on the flyover and the pre-pop looks kinda difficult for me. I hate messing with files and stuff. Enabling CC through zip. and package. files took over a year for me to figure out. -.- And i finally figured out how to export and test my world (which you can look for in the CAW section of snootysims :wink: ) and i made some sims and there were already other people living in the town, and townies... :huh:

Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:28 pm
Simsational Poster
Simsational Poster

Name: Sarah
I'm not even playing Sims 3 anymore (the bugs were really annoying me, did the new patch fix them?) but I think once you get this done I will HAVE to re-install! :D

I know there are troubles of more than one kind, they come from ahead and they come from behind. But I've brought a big bat, I'm all ready, you see. Now my troubles are gunna have troubles with me. ~Dr. Suess~

Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:34 am
Renderlicous
Renderlicous

Thanks! The bugs have been annoying the crap out of me as well. I haven't had a chance to play the game after I installed the new patch so hopefully some of the more annoying ones have been fixed.
I've gotten quite frustrated with the world... All I want to do is play it but there's still so much that has to be done. :meh:

I've gone through all the stuff included with Town Life and I have to say I'm impressed, the new rabbit holes work perfectly with what I want Bluewater Village to look like, a modern-looking beachfront town with some wacky architecture. I'm not sure how coastal towns look in other countries, but in Australia that kind of architecture is really popular by the beach. So I'm adding Town Life to the list of required packs. Not sure how installing worlds without having all the stuff packs works, I know they get borked if they require an expansion pack you don't have. Hopefully they work like store items and just get replaced with similar content so when I do eventually finish the world, Town Life will be highly recommended as opposed to required.

Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:09 am
Custom Title
Custom Title

Draik wrote:
Thanks! The bugs have been annoying the crap out of me as well. I haven't had a chance to play the game after I installed the new patch so hopefully some of the more annoying ones have been fixed.
I've gotten quite frustrated with the world... All I want to do is play it but there's still so much that has to be done. :meh:

I've gone through all the stuff included with Town Life and I have to say I'm impressed, the new rabbit holes work perfectly with what I want Bluewater Village to look like, a modern-looking beachfront town with some wacky architecture. I'm not sure how coastal towns look in other countries, but in Australia that kind of architecture is really popular by the beach. So I'm adding Town Life to the list of required packs. Not sure how installing worlds without having all the stuff packs works, I know they get borked if they require an expansion pack you don't have. Hopefully they work like store items and just get replaced with similar content so when I do eventually finish the world, Town Life will be highly recommended as opposed to required.

SP will replace them with the vanilla items. I read that somewhere. meh. I feel you. I think that everyone that worls on a world goes through a bored state at one point or another. Take a break for like 2 weeks. But im still waiting for an update :mad: Juss kidding. take your time. :wink:

Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:42 am
Renderlicous
Renderlicous

I come bearing a very small amount of building updates!
As well as some random pictures I took during my first playtest of the world so far.

Building updates: I've finished the rest of the park district in Belladonna, done some editing of the graveyard in Downtown and made an original building in Downtown, the St. Wright Private Hospital.
Terrain updates: Strangetown's all set up (no pictures yet, it still looks quite ugly at the moment. Still needs a crater, some general terraforming and a connecting road to Pleasantview) and Downtown and Belladonna are now on two separate islands.
General updates: The Bella statue can now be seen even when the lot it's on isn't fully rendered, and I've started work on converting the crashed UFO in Strangetown. There was also one in Downtown, I'm not sure whether to put it back in. It wasn't really a big thing in the TS2 version of the neighbourhood, but if I put it in this world it's going to take up a city block and will have some kind of tomb attached to it.

Anyway, on with the pictures!

Update-y pictures:
Spoiler:
So here we have the Park District in Belladonna, (almost) fully seamless! Now your sims can travel from one end to the other without any loading screens.

Central Park West, the snobby rich section of the park. This was the first lot I made! Features a playground, pavilion, toilets, small pond and what was supposed to be a food vendor thingy but ended up being an ugly barbecue looking thing. I'll replace this with the food van that came with Late Night.

Central Park Pavilion, featuring a rather redundant pavilion/stage, toilets and a small covered are that will have the vending machines that will be with Pets.

Central Park, featuring a playground, toilets, barbecue area and some chess boards.

Aaand, Central Park East, with some run-down toilets, covered vending machine area, playground, barbecue area and random ridiculously expensive sculpture display.

Re-done cemetery, with a locked mausoleum opposite the rabbit hole one. This lot's going to be quite important to the adventure that'll ship with the world!

Downtown and Belladonna are now on separate islands, simultaneously boosting my number of suspension bridges to 4. Take THAT, Bridgeport!

St. Wright Private Hospital, which isn't private at all. There'll be another, plainer looking one in Belladonna and a more 'general practice' one in Bluewater.

St. Wright's also comes with its own cafe, so it serves a purpose other than for doctors and pregnant women.

It took me a while to realise that the food registers could sell you actual meals as well as ingredients, so I'll be able to remake some of the restaurants afterall!

And finally, a view of the world so far. I've decided to make the island connecting Bluewater to Pleasantview bigger and turn it into Reject Island, where I'll be remaking as many of the Beta-TS2 families and houses as possible! Because there were two main neighbourhoods used during the promotion of the game (Riverside and Waterside), this island will be a mix of them both.

The Goths invade the quarter-or-so-completed world (warning, occasional swearing, trace amounts of lesbianism and a definite spoiler!):
Spoiler:
Welcome back, Goths!

Bella: Well this is humbling.
Mortimer: Hey Bells, from here I can see right up your dress!
Dude, gross.

Bella: Uh, hi. Who are you?
Random townie the game spawned to live here: Just some random townie the game spawned to live here.
Bella: Ah, okay then.

Bella: Time to paint the town red...der!

Bella: EXCUSE ME! These aren't like the Spanish Steps at all! Where's the design? The flair? The pretty little fountain out front?
...damn Italians.

Bella: WOWSERS, look at the pair on her!
You heard it here first folks, the truth behind her disappearance is the fact that she ran away to join a lesbian colony.

Bella: This is modern art at its finest! The flair, the sophistication! And when it gets dark it makes an excellent nightlight!

Bella: OH THAT POOR DEAD SIM. BURNED TO DEATH BY THE FLAMING TOILET!

Bella: Curiouser and curiouser!
Wrong franchise, Bella. And enough with the cliches, they're getting annoying.
Bella: By our power combined...
WHAT? (SERIOUSLY THOUGH, anyone else totally, extremely pumped for the live action Captain Planet movie?)
Bella: Me! I am!
...bitch just broke the fifth wall.

Bella: Oh look lol, belladonnas!
...no, they're orchids.
Bella: ...
Oh look lol, belladonnas!

-_-

Bella: RUN RUN RUN.
Bella found the quickest way to get from Strangetown to Pleasantview was to run there... on a non-completed section of the world.

Bella: Suck on these ones Jesus!
BELLA!
Bella: What? You know it to be true!

Old habits die hard, eh Bella?
Bella: NOW WHO'S DOING THE CLICHES, HUH?

Bella: Honey, I'm back from Lothario's!
Oh my, a glitch!
Bella: No, I just told the driver to do that.

Bella: Morty? Cass? Alex?
Was it really necessary to shorten all their names?
Bella: 10 syllables is 5 too many.

Bella: Hello?

...To Be Continued?

Bella: Well duh!
Zip it, tramp.

Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:26 pm
Simsational Poster
Simsational Poster

Name: Sarah
<3 updates make me happy!
I'd be fine if you left the crashed UFO from downtown out. There was nothing attached to it and i didn't realize it was there for the longest time. lol.
It looks SO fantastic :D

I know there are troubles of more than one kind, they come from ahead and they come from behind. But I've brought a big bat, I'm all ready, you see. Now my troubles are gunna have troubles with me. ~Dr. Suess~

Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:58 pm
Custom Title
Custom Title

Name: Derek
I liked the Bella adventure more than the update :dance:

Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:59 pm
Custom Title
Custom Title

YAY!!!!!! The Bella adventure was pretty funneh. Im digging the town so far :)

Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:13 pm
Roomie
Roomie

Bless you good sir/ma'am! This is making me tear up.

Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:48 am
Renderlicous
Renderlicous

I figured that I should probably explain the random tomb with the colourful statues in it before people start to wonder why it's there.
This will be the 'hub' of the Bella adventure, where you go after finding keystones or new information. It'll basically be split up into 4 separate parts, each part relating to an element and a neighbourhood. At the moment, it looks as though the elements/towns will be like this:
Fire: Strangetown
Water: Bluewater Village
Earth: Pleasantview
Wind: Belladonna Cove

Yes, the tomb is hidden under the Downtown cemetery and yes, you will need to do some stuff prior in Pleasantview/Strangetown to access it. It kind of sucks because at the moment all I want to do is throw this all together, but that'll require the world pretty much completed building-wise. Oh well, I can start some sections.

Anyway, now that that's out of the way, thank you (again) to everyone who's commented. I know not many other world topics, well at least not based on what I've seen at the TS3 forums, start off with really nothing but a bad-looking pencil drawing and go from there, they're mostly "BAM here's my world, download it!". I could not do that. I'm horrible at working on something without other people knowing about it. Probably because I know I'd just push it aside and never come back to it if it was just me. You all make me feel obligated to continue. :laugh:

There won't be many updates in the next few months. Mainly because I've got some very important exams coming up and as difficult as it may be, my future takes priority over the Sims. :ton:
It's also nice to see the little random Bella thing was well-received. I thought it might be more interesting to see parts of the world up-close rather than from a zoomed-out panoramic display like the past updates have been. I'll have to remember to take some more Bella snapshots next update.

[edit] OH OH OH! Before I forget, I fixed the problem with the non-seamlessness transitioning from a lot on Downtown to the sidewalk! I removed the actual flooring from all of the Downtown lots and replaced the terrain in CAW with a custom brick one I made using the same texture as the sidewalk. It's now a perfectly seamless flooring change from lot to terrain to sidewalk. I got so excited over that I think I might do something similar with Bluewater Village and cobblestone now.

Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:45 am
Custom Title
Custom Title

It's cool! Not trying to one up you, because with this world that's not possible, but I haven't worked on Easter Island in a few months.. Final Exams and prep got me. But anyways, if you didn't do it I was about to suggest making a terrain paint to either connect or just replace as a whole the paths. Isn't that awesome? I have similar stuff for blocks in my hood. Offtopic: Damn. Now I wanna work on my world.

But anyways, what is all this tomb stuff? I've been ignorant to any mention in other threads because I don't have WA, but is it basically like going on a vacation without having to worry about time restrictions and basecamp? Like... a mission you can do at any time?

Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:43 pm
Renderlicous
Renderlicous

You can build tombs basically anywhere (provided you have WA) and they're like what you said, if you build them in your own neighbourhood you can adventure your way through them without worrying about the visa time limits. Tombs are completely customizable, there's a ton of setting up to do on them though, involving triggers and effects and all kinds of stuff. For instance, you can rig it up so a staircase reveals itself and a dialogue box pops up when you mourn a tombstone (totally not one of the steps involved in gaining access to the elemental room Bella was in... :shift: )
You don't need to be on a tomb lot to set up the trigger system, I remember I made a house once with the back shed locked, and you had to go through an elaborately long basement system to get the keystone... it kept my sister entertained for hours trying to unlock the shed!

Anyway, I bring some very minor updates. Mainly just seamlessness pictures, but there are a couple of the newly-constructed Bluewater boardwalk, as well as some panoramic shots from the four corners of the world.
Spoiler:
SEAMLESS! YAY! I achieved this through a method of changing the terrain to the brick pattern and using an invisible sidewalk. You should now be able to walk from one end of the town to the other without any ugly seams or other indications of where the lot ends and the next one starts!

Zooming in on the detail... I must say I am impressed.

Here's the same picture but with some horrible drawings over it showing where the lots/terrain/sidewalk come into play.

Whooshing on over to Bluewater, I've done the same technique here. Those are actually 6 lots separated by sidewalk, marked as hidden tombs so they won't come up as actual lots when in-game.

I was quite dreading having to do Bluewater because of all the shops that would need to be converted to other venues, but now I'm quite excited! The rabbit hole lots from Town Life and Riverview will be used here. Hopefully Bluewater will end up as seamless as Downtown. Anyway, the beach looks quite bare now, but I'll be adding beach lots in there to liven it up a bit.

The boardwalk is also a little bare at the moment.

Anyway, here we have the world from the Belladonna corner. Strangetown is nowhere near finished, so it won't loop over like that when it's done.

Again from the Downtown corner...

...and the Strangetown corner!

And once again from Bluewater.

Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:39 am
Custom Title
Custom Title

I <3 you. :gig: Bluewater is amazing! Same with Downtown! :O Now i deffs need to install WA again and get Town life.

Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:12 am
Renderlicous
Renderlicous

Very minor update time! So today had to hand in my Extension 2 English project, which I've been working on all year to complete. I got home at midday and was going to study for my trial exams next week but thought "screw it, I deserve a break" and worked on the world some more. :yeah:
So here I have a couple of hours worth of work, just some updates on the Bluewater boardwalk, as well as an updated Bella statue-lot which now has the pond on it.
Spoiler:
Some fancy stairwork going on here! I was afraid that I'd screw it up but I think it work. I drew most of my inspiration from that staircase thing in Twinbrook.

Seamlessness! Yay!

Because the actual staircase is pretty colourless, I added some colour into the swirly bit on the walls.

Plenty of benches to relax on!

I'm thinking about extending the beach outwards a little, as well. When we get swimmable oceans I'm sure that beaches will play a more important part in worlds.

Top-down view of the entire staircase thingo. I still have no idea what to call them...

The Bluewater boardwalk, nearing completion! The world deleted one of the retaining walls when I copied the second staircase thing for some reason, so I need to re-add it in.

It looks quite horrible without the retaining walls. :\

Looking down the street (towards Strangetown)

Back up the other way!

Bella! With a pond!

I'm not particularly fond of playing with water on lots, but I think this turned out quite well!

Lots of moveobjects on and alt-rotating to get these plants in.

Of course, this is pretty different to the TS2 Bella/pond. Mainly because in TS2 Belladonna Cove had the statue placed with half of the stairs leading into the water.

This lot's set as a fishing spot at the moment, but I may change it to small park.

There's still going to need to be some terrain painting fixes, but other than that I quite like the lot overall.

The Park District is officially completed!

[edit] I've started recolouring some rabbitholes, as well! The Downtown hospital is completed at the moment, it's now black with some red accents. Looks very modern and professional.

Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:42 am
Historia Crux
Historia Crux

Name: Erhama
Roleplay: Roxlar Trein
I have a question. Will there be a version that doesn't include Strangetown?

Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:35 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Custom Title
Custom Title

Səphiroth wrote:
I have a question. Will there be a version that doesn't include Strangetown?

It doesn't really matter, but I'd have to ask the same. Idk. Somthing about it will throw me off xD I honestly can't wait for this, and I REALLY hope CAW doesn't make this crash and burn. KEEP BACKUPS PLEASE!

Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next