View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 CRAZY idea about weather not existing 
Simsational Poster
Simsational Poster

Post CRAZY idea about weather not existing
so there was somebody on mts talking about why they haven't done weather yet.. and they were saying that it would probably be impossible because peoples games would lag too much due to the open neighborhood.

that's the dumbest reason in the world. not everybody's game lags. could you imagine how much money it would make them if they released a weather expansion? that's just all the more reason to go for it.

i tried the 'fog emitter weather effects' out myself in my game and it didn't lag at all. my computer is no high end machine, really. just decent, i guess.

i'd expect that the normal player (obviously there would be weather intensity settings and whatnot for performance options) would be able to run weather perfectly fine in the neighborhood. i think it would just be x100 better in the sims 3. there's nothing like taking a drive in the snow, or raking leaves at the park, right?

what do you guys think? i honestly think they can't afford NOT to make a weather expansion pack. i don't mind if it happens to be the last one. i just want it to come eventually, no matter what.

Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:45 am
Sim Goddess
Sim Goddess

Post Re: CRAZY idea about weather not existing
Some people's games lag, but that's mostly because their computers can't handle it. Even if they do bring weather, the people who's computers would lag are probably already having problems due to their computer specs. I think they would implement it kindof like the shadow system in the game. Detailed shadows don't span the entire map, you can see them load off in the distance as you move. I think they would implement very highly detailed rain/snow etc. in the player's general vicinity, then add effects to make it look like rain and snow far off in the distance. However every game does this, a game would kill and eat any computer if it had highly detailed rain/snow throughout the entire map, that's why game developers implement this system of high detail in the playing field, then lower detail far away.

Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:24 pm
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

dragonbytes wrote:
i honestly think they can't afford NOT to make a weather expansion pack. i don't mind if it happens to be the last one. i just want it to come eventually, no matter what.

This isn't an attack or anything, but what are your reasons behind that?

I will agree that a TS3 weather EP will horde in sales like no tommorow. But I do think that EA can afford to skip it if they really wanted to. I also see what Little-V is saying; if there is going to be anything that lags a game, it is going to be weather and seasons.

At the same time I do think that we have a seasons/weather EP comming. Can you tell that I'm very speculative about this lol ?

If they did do a seasons/weather EP, I think that they need to add disasters because we have earthquakes from Amb. I would also like to have a weather EP create larger events for the whole community to join in, like a festival in the fall or something.

Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:50 pm
Simsational Poster
Simsational Poster

Scryer wrote:
dragonbytes wrote:
i honestly think they can't afford NOT to make a weather expansion pack. i don't mind if it happens to be the last one. i just want it to come eventually, no matter what.

This isn't an attack or anything, but what are your reasons behind that?

I will agree that a TS3 weather EP will horde in sales like no tommorow. But I do think that EA can afford to skip it if they really wanted to. I also see what Little-V is saying; if there is going to be anything that lags a game, it is going to be weather and seasons.

At the same time I do think that we have a seasons/weather EP comming. Can you tell that I'm very speculative about this lol ?

If they did do a seasons/weather EP, I think that they need to add disasters because we have earthquakes from Amb. I would also like to have a weather EP create larger events for the whole community to join in, like a festival in the fall or something.

i meant exactly what i said. what would be their reasons for passing up a hefty paycheck?

some people are waiting for weather as the first expansion pack that they buy. and can you imagine people going back to the sims 2, simply because they wouldn't bring back a significant part of the game? it might not be significant to everybody, but i know that some people are willing to throw it out if they don't bring weather back. maybe even myself.

i'm probably exaggerating a bit, but i want you to see how important it is. both pets and weather are an important part of realistic gameplay. vacations, give or take for example are not as necessary. at least not in my opinion. the other things, like the late night ep that's coming out is just a bonus.

they can't leave out the best of expansion packs. i don't think they'd want to miss out on that money.

i agree, though about the disasters. there really aren't earthquakes in ambitions unless you're a firefighter.. and then you 'calm sims down' or something, i'm not sure. it's not anything that actually devastates the whole town.. just one or two sims.

natural disasters would bring a very realistic element to gameplay, though. it reminds me of simcity, how there could be disasters that affected the city.

Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:08 am
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Quote:
i meant exactly what i said. what would be their reasons for passing up a hefty paycheck?

I can't really speak for them but the people at EA are earning a pretty penny from TS3 already; they might stop making EP's after LN. Although I think that it would be stupid but they really aren't forced to make EP's because they can stop whenever they want to whether it's because of the recessed economy or if they've ran out resources..... Nevermind.

Quote:
some people are waiting for weather as the first expansion pack that they buy. and can you imagine people going back to the sims 2, simply because they wouldn't bring back a significant part of the game? it might not be significant to everybody, but i know that some people are willing to throw it out if they don't bring weather back. maybe even myself. i'm probably exaggerating a bit, but i want you to see how important it is. both pets and weather are an important part of realistic gameplay. vacations, give or take for example are not as necessary. at least not in my opinion. the other things, like the late night ep that's coming out is just a bonus.

But that really depends on the person...I agree that those concepts are important to showcase a realistic world. The pets EP (for TS2) wasn't all that great when I come to think of it. Pets sucked... all it gave you was a little furry thing that you can watch die, and maybe teach it a trick or two while it was doing that lol. Although the create a pet feature was in depth and the pet behaviours were good, it was a weightless EP for me. TS2 seasons was okay, they're introducing weather and seasons.

Because I value sim behaviours more than pets, LN is not just a bonus for me since I can actually do stuff with my sims. Honestly, I won't go back to TS2 because of TS3's traits alone; those actually gave my sims personalities and that is a huge win for me.

Quote:
they can't leave out the best of expansion packs. i don't think they'd want to miss out on that money.

I don't think that Pets and Seasons are going to turn out the best EP's this round (for seasons; TS2 Seasons was good) because it is EASY money as long as EA has those features in.

Quote:
i agree, though about the disasters. there really aren't earthquakes in ambitions unless you're a firefighter.. and then you 'calm sims down' or something, i'm not sure. it's not anything that actually devastates the whole town.. just one or two sims. natural disasters would bring a very realistic element to gameplay, though. it reminds me of simcity, how there could be disasters that affected the city.

Earthquakes are pretty lame :P . At the same time I do think that EA isn't just going to leave us with a disaster without continuing it in another EP (which I am hoping will happen).

Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:07 am

Also if you remember that in sims 2 seasons people woth low end pc's could barely run it because the graphics were too intense and their resolution became shrunken (800x600). Now imagine that kind of lag in sims 3 I mean sims 3 already lags enough.

Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:26 pm
Sims Addict
Sims Addict

Name: Alina
While I've seen pets and seasons veeery wanted in the game, I personally enjoyed WA and LN very much. These appealed more to me because I do live in an apartment (and the difference from living in a house is outstanding), and because I love to travel. And these two would still be my favorites, unless Pets and Seasons have some very developed features.

If pets came out tomorrow, I'd get it only to manage to have a cat, nothing more, nothing less. As for seasons... meh, I can do without the rain and snow. What I'm saying is that I would like them to come out with lots and lots and I do mean LOTS of interaction/gameplay.

I need more than a few basic interactions with the pets. Like, how about a re-do of the pet contests in Sims 1? (Only, of course, a lot more developed here). And a ton of options for training the pets, getting them a job etc. Basically, put together Sims 1 and Sims 2, add some extra new features, and it might just be developed enough to buy it.

As for seasons, what I liked most about it was the gardening part, and we already have that. Things like swimming in the ocean during summer or ice-skating on frozen ponds during winter seem necessary to me, so I'd be disappointed not to get those. I mean, what's the use of seasons if you can't have some of the basic season-related activities?

Buuuuuut, lets get back to the real deal: this is EA we're talking about. Lagging game or not, they're work has a constant loss in quality (maybe even features) with every new EP they release. Which makes it less likely to see these features. Right now I can't wait for Generations to come out, only for moving on to getting information about how Pets will be.

So, before wondering about games lagging or not (after all, computers did evolve much in the last few years), I think we should wonder about the quality of the potential game. And this scares me more than the idea of having to upgrade my computer. (Just call me a pessimist :no: ).

Sun May 15, 2011 8:41 pm
Profile YIM
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Buuuuuut, lets get back to the real deal: this is EA we're talking about. Lagging game or not, they're work has a constant loss in quality (maybe even features) with every new EP they release. Which makes it less likely to see these features. Right now I can't wait for Generations to come out, only for moving on to getting information about how Pets will be.

The Pets "EP" that you're talking about hasn't been confirmed. Even the people who run the snootysims site aren't confident calling it an EP yet. See for yourself:

http://snootysims.com/index.php?id=releasedates

I think that seasons has a hand in being the next EP. Even interviewers were asking if seasons/weather would be included which has been unheard of until now. Not only that but it would be a smart market move for EA to release a Pets console game before they release a Pets EP because desperate players would end up buying both games.

Mon May 16, 2011 2:47 am
Sims Addict
Sims Addict

Name: Alina
Yeah, you're right. I took the EP-idea as granted because at the end of the leaked trailer, there was also a PC icon (WIN/MAC DVD-ROM Software). And I supposed that, if it's PC-friendly, it's most likely an expansion. As I said, I can't wait to get over the buzz with Generations, so that we'll find out more about the next EP (hopefully, Pets).

Mon May 16, 2011 6:15 am
Profile YIM
Custom Title
Custom Title

Name: Derek
That is a CRAZY idea, but I can see where it's going. Maybe EA wants to expand the game in other ways. They already created an "at home" EP. What could weather do for the community?

The answer is "Wonders." I almost feel like that EP is required. And i have a feeling we will see it. I also am confident that, based on how good it was in TS2, that the weather in this game will be amazing.

Mon May 16, 2011 9:54 am
Beyond Devoted
Beyond Devoted

I'm just curious....(I think this was mentioned in another thread)

what else would be added to Seasons? Sure weather, but what else?? (Sorry my Sims 2 memories are fading!!) Maybe they haven't released Seasons it because they needed to add a bunch of things other than weather?

I hope:

1) New creature (An abominable snowman perhaps?!)
2) New Plants/food to grow (like pumpkins!)
3) New Sim Animations (such as playing in the snow, raking the leaves...etc)
4)....drawing a blank!

OR Perhaps they are trying to "perfect" it LOL :ton:

Origin ID: MJSimKat_14
YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/MJSimKat

Mon May 16, 2011 9:24 pm
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

chippy wrote:
I'm just curious....(I think this was mentioned in another thread)

what else would be added to Seasons? Sure weather, but what else?? (Sorry my Sims 2 memories are fading!!) Maybe they haven't released Seasons it because they needed to add a bunch of things other than weather?

I hope:

1) New creature (An abominable snowman perhaps?!)
2) New Plants/food to grow (like pumpkins!)
3) New Sim Animations (such as playing in the snow, raking the leaves...etc)
4)....drawing a blank!

OR Perhaps they are trying to "perfect" it LOL :ton:

Well.... let's see what we don't have.. We have an EP that's opportunity based (WA), an EP that is skill-based (Amb; this could be argued), an EP that lets sims out of the house (LN), and an EP that is based on your home lot (Gen). Seeing as how weather/seasons affects everybody, would it be too much to ask for a Seasons EP that focuses on community interactions?

That's one of the things that we're missing here; some interactions that brings the entire community together. I'm thinking that these interactions could be different festivals, a summer carnival, maybe some holidays (Hallowe'en comes to mind here). But that's just me... I feel that after Generations gets released, it's time to bring the Sims' community together in a Seasons EP.

roshky wrote:
there was also a PC icon (WIN/MAC DVD-ROM Software). And I supposed that, if it's PC-friendly, it's most likely an expansion.

Although I agree that the PC icon does suggest that it could be an EP; the fact is is that it hasn't been confirmed. Snootysims has been a very reliable information bank that I've used (since TS2) and they've seldom been wrong. I think that if snootysims listed it as a console game, it carries some weight because they don't update their site with information that they aren't confident using.

Tue May 17, 2011 12:21 am
Beyond Devoted
Beyond Devoted

Scryer wrote:
That's one of the things that we're missing here; some interactions that brings the entire community together. I'm thinking that these interactions could be different festivals, a summer carnival, maybe some holidays (Hallowe'en comes to mind here). But that's just me... I feel that after Generations gets released, it's time to bring the Sims' community together in a Seasons EP.

Hey! You may be on to something!! I like that idea, bringing the community together. :dance2: I definitely love the summer carnival and festival idea!

Origin ID: MJSimKat_14
YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/MJSimKat

Tue May 17, 2011 3:12 am
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

I'm sure that people are sick of seeing this :P but I do have a fleshed out idea for a seasons EP:

Spoiler:
After doing some thinking, I have decided on what my ideal seasons EP for TS3 would be.

I find that TS3 can make your sims feel so secluded in their own homes. There aren't too many outdoor activities that your sims can do. Or I at least find that there could be a ton of more things that your sims could do outside of the house; and there should be things that you want to send your sims to. So I would like to have the next TS3 seasons EP to have huge community events happen in each season as well as the ability to control how long each season lasts (just like you can in the TS2 EP). And you can also adjust the percentages of weather for each season.

Also in the next Seasons EP I would want disaster weathers along with the standard weather in TS2's seasons. I would like to see the Earthquake concept continued from Ambitions and I would also like to see violent thunderstorms (which causes blackouts), blizzards, floods, and heatwaves (which can sometimes cause brush fires).

Here are some of my ideas in relation to each season:

Spring:

- Weather includes lots of rain, moderate hails (which can kill you if you're out too long), moderate sunny days, and a small chance of snow. It also has a different lighting effect just like in the TS2 EP.

- Disaster weather includes floods (if there's lots of rainy days; make sure your sims have umbrellas or they'll get soaked!) and violent thunderstorms (which can cause blackouts or electrocute a sim to death!). Floods would cause damage to the home if you can't clean up the puddles fast enough.

- Like in TS2, Spring also improves your chances of getting successful "hits" with your romantic actions.

- Spring is a time of growth so have your sims enter themselves in the tree-planting contest. Eco-friendly sims and sims that love the outdoors will have a blast planting trees even if they don't plant the most!

- If the outdoors is not your sims' thing, then they can also attend the Music festival that happens in Spring. They can go to specific venues (which costs money) and they can enjoy their favourite kinds of music. Or they can be the sims performing at the festival if they pass the festival requirements.

Summer:

- Weather includes some rain, lots of sunny days, and some hail. It has the standard lighting effect except for different weathers and heatwaves.

- Disaster weather includes violent thunderstorms, earthquakes, and heatwaves (which de-energizes sims and dehydrates them).

- Summer helps improve your rate at making friends like in TS2. Summer in TS3 also encourages other sims to go outside (unless they hate the outdoors) rather than lounge around inside their own homes.

- Your sims can now go to the beach.... AND SWIM IN THE OCEAN! They can catch a tan or get sun-burnt if they don't use proper UV protection. Your sims also have to keep hydrated (its not a new mood, they would just get a negative moodlet if they haven't drank water for 4+ days) while out in the hot weather. If they don't get the hydration they need then your sim might suffer from heat stroke.

- If your sims are looking for more of a thrill, they can always attend the Summer Carnival that has pulled into town! Whether its a ferris wheel, "Haunted House", garden maze, fun-house, magic tricks, or a heart-stopping rollercoaster, your sims will find something fun to do at the carnival; even if it means running away from clowns! Or if they're feeling lucky, they can win some pretty cool prizes at the open venues or even enjoy the carnival food.

If a violent thunderstorm causes a blackout, your sims might be stuck on their rides for quite a while before the power is back!

I would want players to be able to create their own rollercoasters. So that system would be extensive... Not to the point where it's a roller coaster tycoon type game, but it would be extensive so that players can get super creative.

Fall:

- Weather includes sunny days, some hail, some rain, and maybe some early snow fall. It also has a different lighting effect just like in the TS2 EP. Severe weather conditions includes violent thunderstorms and Earthquakes.

- Autumn is the season where sims can earn school grades and skills a little faster.

- Fall is also the time that the neighbourhood harvest festival takes place! As long as you have cooked something (French Nectar is especially welcome!), you can gain entry for up to 5 sims (or you can sneak in). The better the meal, the more likely you'll win a pretty sweet prize. So feast with your neighbours and don't be afraid to put on your dance shoes for the evening dance.

- Hallowe'en in Autumn. Enough said. Get a costume, host a Hallowe'en party, or just get some free candy.

Winter:

- Weather includes lots of snow and some clear days. The disaster weathers that can happen are blizzards (which can trap you in your house or from your car!). It also has a different lighting effect just like in the TS2 EP.

- Like in TS2, Winter is a season that is going to strengthen family relationships or enhance the chances of re-building a destroyed family-relationship.

- In winter your sims have to stay relatively warm... It would be like hydration in the summer. You get a negative moodlet except with warmth, the moodlet would show up every 7 hours your sim stayed outside in the winter. A hot drink (like hot chocolate) or a couple of minutes by the fireplace can fix that no problem. If not, then your sim might freeze to death.

- You see those hills in Sunset Valley that are now covered in snow? You guessed it! Climb it and snowboard/ski/tobaggan down it like there's no tommorow. Wiping out and early death, totally included. And you may as well skate on the lakes that are now frozen... Your sim will enjoy skating as long as they don't fall through thin ice and quickly drown to an untimely death.

- I'm not too sure how Holidays are suppose to be included... But would a "Santa Sim" day offend everyone? I mean its not like there's a calendar to indicate that Santa Sim visits your place on a certain day. Your sim children can now make one Santa wish (which is a toy chosen from a menu) and when Santa Sim comes to visit, he'll give that child their wish.... If they've been nice the winter. Fighting, being mean, or failing school will result in a lump of coal followed by tears.

- This new EP also includes a new world editor version in it that allows the players to edit their town even after they've started playing that neighbourhood. You can now flatten un-inhabited land, expand it, delete it, or do whatever you want to make it easier to include the new buildings that this EP comes with. I apologize if this is already the case, I clearly don't have World Editor and the damn TS3 site doesn't want to give it to me.

- New jobs includes a branch from Journalism: Meterology and The Law Career which branches into lawyer justice or judicial powers.

- A new seasonal Live Entertainment job. This job works exactly like an ambitions job and changes over the seasons. Go to city hall, sign up for an upcomming festival's venue, and work! You could be selling the cotton candy at the carnival, you could be playing with your band in the Music festival, you could also be the clown at the carnival, or if you can make sure that the rides are working properly during summer or maintaining them in Winter, or you could even sell the tickets to the neighbourhood harvest festival!!

- Teachers... Have the summer off! Students will also get some days off as well. And other careers that are updated to work around the seasons as well, if needed.

- The new skill in this EP is the Entertainment skill. Sims high with this skill can entertain crowds of people whether they are at a party or performing at work. These sims can also distract a large crowd of people with magic tricks, stories, or juggling.... If they have a high skill.

- New traits include: Coulrophobia (fear of clowns and everything that resembles clowns including facepaint, clownfish, excessive make-up, costumes. Symptoms include fainting, peeing oneself, and running away); Cool-Headed (these sims can always think straight in a tense situation. They are not easily angered in arguments or fights and they are able to learn miscellanous details about a sim faster. It is incompatible with the Hot-Headed trait); Bardish (something about these sims is very entertaining to watch. They make great live entertainers, can tell folktales and stories, and they learn the entertain skill faster).

- Some traits will be updated such as cowards. Cowards will also be afraid of clowns but not to the extent that a sim with Coulrophobia does. A coward might just walk the other way. If you ever get a coward on a rollercoast, just know that they have a higher chance of dying from fright after they get off!

And party animals will love festivals and carnivals.

Tue May 17, 2011 5:02 am
Simmer
Simmer

Name: Nic
^^^^ That sounds so good! I want that expansion pack! I love weather and I'm really interested in natural disasters so that would be cool to have a meterolgy career.

Tue May 17, 2011 9:06 pm
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Scryer wrote:
The Pets "EP" that you're talking about hasn't been confirmed. Even the people who run the snootysims site aren't confident calling it an EP yet. See for yourself:

http://snootysims.com/index.php?id=releasedates

It appears that snootysims updated this page; I am now wrong lol! Looks like snootysims is fairly confident that the next EP is Pets.

Sat May 21, 2011 2:18 am
Beyond Devoted
Beyond Devoted

Name: Jawsh
Well, if weather doesn't happen, I'm not all that bothered, most of the hoods I play are sunny and tropical. XD

Besides, it wouldn't make a difference if the weather would bring lag or not, my game lags like hell enough, lol.

I am Electra Heart.

Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:31 am
Forum Friend
Forum Friend

Pets and weather would be a pretty good couple. I used to love seeing my dog hop through the snow like she's never hopped through grass(RIP Rosie). She'd bury herself under it and just keep tunneling, like watching Bugs Bunny raising the ground as he moved under it.

I don't think weather will be a big issue in an open world. They'll either go the route they did with Sims 2 seasons and have a filter overlaying your screen, or they'll just limit how far out in a 3D space the effects go. So if you are in TAB view, or looking around the neighborhood, it has a radius of how far the effect is shown while still giving you the illusion that it's happening everywhere. Illusion is key here, and I hope EA can make a good one. I wasn't a fan of the fact that with Sims 2, if you get down into a house and look out the window, the effect is gone(because it was just layered over your screen and since you were "inside" the effect goes away).

Honestly, while I hated the filtered effect with Sims 2 Seasons, I think it would work well in an open world, just as long as I see snow or rain when looking out of a window when I get down into my sims houses!

I just get a sense that weather in an open neighborhood is giving the Sims team and programmers a massive headache and I don't blame them for taking a while on weather.

Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:58 am
Custom Title
Custom Title

Name: Derek
Have you ever played around with the effect spawner? Ever seen the test weather? It's an effect that fills up a square of 3D space. I have a feeling EA will find a different way, but that was cool. I'm sure they were to attach that affect to the "camera"

Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:01 pm
Simsational Poster
Simsational Poster

i just wanted to add in that i really hope we can see it rain or snow out of the window in a pets expansion pack. that was missing in the sims 2., :sad:

Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:22 am
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next