View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Frontier/South Western USA World <work in progress> 
Sim Goddess
Sim Goddess

Name: Charlie
Post Frontier/South Western USA World <work in progress>
Hey guys. Firstly I was wondering if there are already any frontier type worlds? I haven't seen any although I'd really like to if someone has...
With the pets expansion containing horses, I couldn't wait to jump in and give it a lil' go myself. I know its in six months time, but I couldn't resist!! :nod:

So not anything exciting to show at the moment, just got the basic shape/terrain down and the roads. I really struggle to create naturalistic looking roads, they seem to be really curvey and then suddenly sharp.... I will share a picture... :huh:

Spoiler:

Okay so in the picture I've added:
NO CAM - A place the camera will not be allowed to go, so essentially the edge of the visibilty (I want this world to be nestled within mountains you can't go over.. if you get my drift.

NO SIM - Places the sims cannot get too - this is so they don't go running off over the mountain and fall of the world Hehe :gig:

The odd bloblike square/circles - decided residential sites, they're on two little loops like that because i want them to seem like internal communities within the community. I might give them each their own general store.

The wiggly lines within the loops - Community locations - most likley going to be parks/ponds.

The weird shape with TH on it - The town hall. I might put this elsewhere, but I was just getting a general gist here. But I do quite like it where it is in this early image.

The Idea behind this town:
A large sparsley populated (but tightly populated in certain areas) for people to download with a wholesome, continuing and interesting theme, however it has enough flat groundspace to add extra lots at will, as well as when Expansions add new features to squeeze in. (HORSES NEEDZ HOMEZ PEEPULZZ)

TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK/WHAT I SHOULD ADD/WHAT I SHOULD CHANGE ETC ETC.

UPDATE - 27th April 2011

So I tattled a bit with the world again today, finished texturing (my weakest point I think) and began placing down objects to flesh out the world, oddly enough I started slap bang in the middle, but then thought better of myself and starting doing bits on the outside. This is what i've done so far...
Spoiler:
So here is what I did in the middle, this bit I will work on obviously, seeing as it the focal part of the town, the majority of this will be unroutable, and its purley decorational. However on the outskirt will be a livable manor/farm house, as well as a consigment store (farm produce)

Here is a small section I am still working on also. I wasn't sure what to do around the mountains, and I saw that there is a raised bridge so I couldn't resist adding this. Its obviously just decorational, but if it adds a little charm then I thought it would be nice.

Last edited by Charlie on Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:33 pm
Sim Goddess
Sim Goddess

Post Re: Frontier/South Western USA World <work in progress>
*Reserved for updates/final product - Please don't delete this please because its double posting *looks at mods with puppy eyes* THANKS*

Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:45 pm
Beyond Devoted
Beyond Devoted

Interesting Charlie!

I haven't seen a frontier/western type world anywhere so I guess it would be safe to say that yours would be a first! I like the set up of the map already :smile:

Here's a tip! If you are going for the "ghost-town" on the buildings look, you could make all the buildings (including community lots) old-looking, dusty with dirt, something like that lol. Plus I would think most of the buildings would be made of wood (depending on the specific time-period you're going for lol).

Also! I know that there is a very nice decorative old train set from Mod the Sims 3. I don't know how much CC you'd want to add, but I think it would help tremendously with the frontier theme :wink: But again, it depends on the time-period you're going for. Here is the link http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=416589

Keep up the good work!! Pets won't be released until this Fall, so take your time!!

Origin ID: MJSimKat_14
YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/MJSimKat

Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:32 pm
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Other than what Chippy said (about making specific choices), you should definitely go for it! The train station might not be a bad idea as well.

Post screens when you're ready!

Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:41 pm
Sim Goddess
Sim Goddess

Thanks guys - I'll work on this world as much as I can, although I have some crucial exams at the moment, I'll do what I can in between. Also, I was going with zero custom content, but that train is simply gorgeous!!! ^.^ I might have to snag it - keep your eyes open for other little things to for me!

Also check the original post - I updated with two pictures!! :) Thanks for showing interest in this guys! :)

Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:09 pm
Beyond Devoted
Beyond Devoted

No problem!! It's looking good!! I like the bridge idea and the farm is looking great! Keep up the good work; I'll keep my eyes open for other decorative sets 8{^_^}8

Good luck on your exams by the way :wink:

Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:02 pm
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

I'm gonna lecture just a little bit: be sure to keep your focus on your exams :nod: .

It's looking very good! Where did you find that cave object at the end of the raised bridge? Like what is it called? I remember trying to find that object for hours back when I had my game :pie: .

Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:30 am
Sim Goddess
Sim Goddess

Haha thanks for the lecture scryer! Luckily two of my subjects are coursework based, which I've almost done, so I only have two exams... Although I will most likely fail haha...

As for the cave objects, it's called mine entrance, if you have wa there is a Chinese one as well, tbh I don't know if it's interactional or not, but int
World it's nor accessible because of the routing I placed. I've put down some ff emitters too, just to create a bot more atmosphere... I kinda wish the world was a little bigger so I could get a swamp type area too it, for a little bit of diversity.

Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:32 pm
Simsational Poster
Simsational Poster

It's not actually been confirmed that the Unleashed trailer is for PCs. It might actually be just for consoles :sad: .
*Finger crossed* it is for PCs though, because ur world does look nice atm. And i sure would love to have sims riding horses :)

Thu May 05, 2011 2:01 pm
Custom Title
Custom Title

Name: Derek
Nancy wrote:
It's not actually been confirmed that the Unleashed trailer is for PCs. It might actually be just for consoles :sad: .
*Finger crossed* it is for PCs though, because ur world does look nice atm. And i sure would love to have sims riding horses :)

EA will DEFFINATELY give us pets. I mean, they have been since Sims 1. I believe that is a console trailer, but we are deffinately getting Unleashed. I mean, we can walk our babies now, we should deffinately be able to walk our dogs.

I mean, that's a first in The Sims Series, walking methods with two sims / creatures involved. I am almost positive they will bring unleashed with that similar dog walking thing. It will be SO awesome.

Thu May 05, 2011 10:22 pm
Beyond Devoted
Beyond Devoted

Swatme101 wrote:
I mean, that's a first in The Sims Series, walking methods with two sims / creatures involved. I am almost positive they will bring unleashed with that similar dog walking thing. It will be SO awesome.

I definitely can't wait to experience this!! Come on Fall 2011!!

Sat May 07, 2011 1:46 am
Sim Goddess
Sim Goddess

sorry guys i havent had a chance to work on this for a while. i promise i'll get round to finishing it!

Sat May 07, 2011 9:51 pm
Simsational Poster
Simsational Poster

Swatme101 wrote:
Nancy wrote:

EA will DEFFINATELY give us pets. I mean, they have been since Sims 1. I believe that is a console trailer, but we are deffinately getting Unleashed. I mean, we can walk our babies now, we should deffinately be able to walk our dogs.

I have no doubt they will give us Pets. I just really hope it's like the one for consoles. I really want horses!! :laugh:

Wed May 11, 2011 5:22 pm
Beyond Devoted
Beyond Devoted

Hey Charlie,

How are you doing on your CAW?? Any updates? :smile:

Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:30 pm
Sim Goddess
Sim Goddess

Hey Chippy!
Not currently I'm afraid, last exam is actually tomorrow! THEN its back down to business ^.^

Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:31 pm
Beyond Devoted
Beyond Devoted

Charlie wrote:
Hey Chippy!
Not currently I'm afraid, last exam is actually tomorrow! THEN its back down to business ^.^

LOL Okay! That's cool :ton:

Good luck on your exam! :happy:

Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:44 pm
Sim Goddess
Sim Goddess

Thanks! I should totally be revising right now but I'm sort of on snootysims as well ^.^

Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:55 pm
Beyond Devoted
Beyond Devoted

Charlie wrote:
Thanks! I should totally be revising right now but I'm sort of on snootysims as well ^.^

You're welcome! :yeah:

In the meantime, I'm brainstorming for a new sims 3 machinima...hmmm...I've run out of ideas in the past few months!

Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:29 pm
Sim Goddess
Sim Goddess

I may just have forgotten to back this up before I patched... and might have lost this world... :/

Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:19 pm
Beyond Devoted
Beyond Devoted

Charlie wrote:
I may just have forgotten to back this up before I patched... and might have lost this world... :/

:cry:

Oh No! I'm sorry to hear that...

The patch messed up a lot of people's games...unfortunately...

Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next