View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:31 pm

Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Memories are back! 
Simsational Poster
Simsational Poster

Name: Mathias
Post Re: Memories are back!
I have Missed MEmories since the beginning of Sims 3. i don't understand why they did't put tha't in the basegame

Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:37 am
Profile WWW
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

I get so giddy knowing that this feature is back! It's been missed for far too long.

Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:24 am
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

I for one am glad that memories are coming back, finnally we can track certain events again.
Yesterday I had the freakiest bug ever and with memories I might have noticed it sooner.

I had a teen girl sim travel from Bridgeport to France, her name Melissa Twinebridge, she did some adventures including the secret area fro a sim with last name Dutiel.

Ok she returned home grew up and then after a few days I decided to go back to France, when she arrived I got the witnessed death moodlet, I had no idea why, het bubbles showed a sim but I couldn't remember who it was.

After 2 days of carefully doing adventures and balancing her moodlets I got over the loss and got an adventure to the chateau,after exploring a bit my sim got stuck between 2 electric traps she couldn't return or go forward.

I decided to use the resetsim cheat and return her to basecamp, after 2 attempts she was still not returned.

Odd I taught so I went over her and suddenly saw she was now called Melissa Dutiel, she had been married without me consenting or doing so to the Dutiel sim in France and he died, to make matters even more interesting Adrian Dutiel was now the son of Melissa, while the 2 had never met.

In the end I got the sim back to basecamp with the cheat, build a relationship with this son, and returned home.
I was then able to use the change name at the townhall to change her last name back to Twinebridge.

I have no idea what happened but with memories I might have caught it on earlier. (Now to get her 'son' integrated into the family and change his name)

Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:42 pm
Friendly Neighbour
Friendly Neighbour

Name: Phoebe
Roleplay: Kenzie Jacobson
^ Almost the exact same thing happened to me, except in Egypt. Weird.

Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:04 pm
Simsational Poster
Simsational Poster

Feebit wrote:
^ Almost the exact same thing happened to me, except in Egypt. Weird.

Same. I tried so hard to go and find a mate in france and pretty much every time i went the person died before I could transplant them to my neighborhood.

Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:21 pm
Sim Goddess
Sim Goddess

Quote:
lets you share them on Facebook or your Sims My Page!

Casuals.

Last edited by Equilibrium on Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Not 4chan.

Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:29 am
Simmer
Simmer

I'm not fussed about the memory system.

How is it genuinly different from taking snapshots yourself and writing texts to go with it?
At least when you take snapshots yourself, you know you're going to get decent ones that aren't faked. By writing the text yourself, you decide what's there, instead of some pre-written text from EA. If I ever feel the need to tell the story of my Sims, I'll do so myself, thank you very much.

( And what, HONESTLY, is the hype with Facebook? I friggin hate the site.)

Tue May 03, 2011 5:44 pm
Historia Crux
Historia Crux

Name: Erhama
Roleplay: Roxlar Trein
NekaraNef wrote:

How is it genuinly different from taking snapshots yourself and writing texts to go with it?
At least when you take snapshots yourself, you know you're going to get decent ones that aren't faked. By writing the text yourself, you decide what's there, instead of some pre-written text from EA. If I ever feel the need to tell the story of my Sims.

Less work required, that's why. Plus, easy reference to the history of your sim(s). Not to mention that they took out the story mode which makes your method quite redundant.

Tue May 03, 2011 5:53 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Simmer
Simmer

Səphiroth wrote:
NekaraNef wrote:

At least when you take snapshots yourself, you know you're going to get decent ones that aren't faked. By writing the text yourself, you decide what's there, instead of some pre-written text from EA. If I ever feel the need to tell the story of my Sims.

Less work required, that's why. Plus, easy reference to the history of your sim(s). Not to mention that they took out the story mode which makes your method quite redundant.

Really? How is it 'less work', when all the memory system does is take crappy snapshots at predetermined occasions, instead of when you want and adds boring pre-written text, instead of the text you want? If you really want decent pictures and texts, you'll need to do it all over again yourself anyway. And yeah, I know you can add your own custom memories, but that's the same as taking snapshots you want and adding texts you want. So what does the memory system add? Again, how is it different?
And since when was storymode necessary for "taking snapshots and adding texts to write your own Sims' story"?

Tue May 03, 2011 7:14 pm
Forum Friend
Forum Friend

I don't want to have to take pictures of everything that a memory bank will list for me. That's more work and if I have multiple families that I like to step away from for a while, a memory system will keep better tabs on their lives than me having to stalk them and take pictures.

Wed May 04, 2011 12:56 am
Historia Crux
Historia Crux

NekaraNef wrote:
Səphiroth wrote:
NekaraNef wrote:

Really? How is it 'less work', when all the memory system does is take crappy snapshots at predetermined occasions, instead of when you want and adds boring pre-written text, instead of the text you want? If you really want decent pictures and texts, you'll need to do it all over again yourself anyway. And yeah, I know you can add your own custom memories, but that's the same as taking snapshots you want and adding texts you want. So what does the memory system add? Again, how is it different?
And since when was storymode necessary for "taking snapshots and adding texts to write your own Sims' story"?

The memory system is different from taking pictures and adding text because you didn't need to take the pictures, at least in the TS2 version, I dunno how the TS3 version will be. Having to take pictures and adding your own text to them will be overkill when memories happen once per day, because then it won't be this fun system where you view memories and remember the time you did this and that, it will be a chore which will be a waste once the sim dies, so it's better to have the game do it itself than having to do it yourself. Unless you use an external program like Word or Powerpoint or something like that, unlike logging it in a game.

Wed May 04, 2011 8:44 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

I'm thinking that the memories feature might make or break this EP.

Thu May 05, 2011 2:42 am
Simmer
Simmer

Name: Nic
not fussed either way with the memories, cant say i really looked at them in TS2.

Sun May 08, 2011 3:36 pm
Sim Goddess
Sim Goddess

Name: Charlie
I think that memories will be the sims 3 version of what we already had in the sims 2 as story mode. I freakin' loved making stories for my sims/households. But do i want them all over facebook? Hell no. And do i want to constantly be updating their memories myself when the game should be doing it themself? Hell no.

Sun May 08, 2011 6:22 pm
Simmer
Simmer

Səphiroth wrote:
The memory system is different from taking pictures and adding text because you didn't need to take the pictures, at least in the TS2 version, I dunno how the TS3 version will be. Having to take pictures and adding your own text to them will be overkill when memories happen once per day, because then it won't be this fun system where you view memories and remember the time you did this and that, it will be a chore which will be a waste once the sim dies, so it's better to have the game do it itself than having to do it yourself. Unless you use an external program like Word or Powerpoint or something like that, unlike logging it in a game.

Quote:
When something memorable happens to your Sim, you get the option to add it to their scrapbook. It’s then added with a photo of the moment along with a caption and title.
If you want you can also add your own special moment, by just pressing a button.
http://svtim.es/specials/a-first-look-at-the-sims-3-generations/

Anyway, you say the memory system adds to the game because it saves you work. I get your point, but it all depends on how you play the game; how many photos you usually take, how picky you are about said photos, and how much you enjoy writing the story that goes with it.
In TS2, the automatic snapshots / movies (when your sim moved into uni, for example) were crappy, and the game lagged horribly when an automatic snapshot/movie was taken/shown. A lot of people, including me, ended up disabling the whole feature and I doubt the TS3 version will be any better. Worse still, the TS2 photobook went per family, but 'memories' are bound to a single sim, so wouldn't that mean those memories disappear the moment your sim dies? Of course, the snapshots and movies themselves are stored on your PC and you can uploaded the whole thing onto Facebook or The Sims website, but that kind of defeats the purpose of an 'in-game' memory system (and I hate both Facebook and The Sims website). Of course, I'm currently also working with outside elements (html pages) so it's not like the memory system adds more work for me, but it doesn't "help" me either.
Summary: The memory system doesn't add anything to my game.

Profplumbob wrote:
I don't want to have to take pictures of everything that a memory bank will list for me. That's more work and if I have multiple families that I like to step away from for a while, a memory system will keep better tabs on their lives than me having to stalk them and take pictures.

Do we have confirmation memories are automatically added for inactive families? I'm not sure I even want that to happen. Actually... I'm pretty sure I don't want that to happen: imagine the lag if the game needs to store memory info every few minutes! Also, the review on svtim.es suggests you get a popup asking you if you want to add the memory/snapshot every single time, so I'm forseeing lots of annoyance on that point as well (even if memories aren't recorded for inactive families).

*shrugs* I just hope there's a disable button.

Tue May 10, 2011 5:07 am
Forum Friend
Forum Friend

Sims 2 didn't take pictures/movies of memories. It was a list of "Met X person" "Had first kiss with..." Got married to..."

I don't know why you're so against a feature you can completely ignore.

Thu May 12, 2011 9:51 pm
Simmer
Simmer

Profplumbob wrote:
Sims 2 didn't take pictures/movies of memories. It was a list of "Met X person" "Had first kiss with..." Got married to..."

Get your facts straight.

TS3 memory system combines the TS2 memory system with the TS3 photobook. This has been shown clearly in multiple inverviews and previews. It isn't "just" a list of what happened. It takes snapshots. Automatic snapshots = lag + crap.

Worse still...

Quote:
When something memorable happens to your Sim, you get the option to add it to their scrapbook. It’s then added with a photo of the moment along with a caption and title.
If you want you can also add your own special moment, by just pressing a button.
http://svtim.es/specials/a-first-look-a ... nerations/

Hello pop up central!

Good luck ignoring that.

Fri May 13, 2011 1:57 am
Historia Crux
Historia Crux

NekaraNef wrote:
Profplumbob wrote:

Get your facts straight.

TS3 memory system combines the TS2 memory system with the TS3 photobook. This has been shown clearly in multiple inverviews and previews. It isn't "just" a list of what happened. It takes snapshots. Automatic snapshots = lag + crap.

He never said Sims 3 would be like that, he just said Sims 2...

Fri May 13, 2011 2:59 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Beyond Devoted
Beyond Devoted

Example of memory capture at 1:57 from IGN

http://uk.ign.com/videos/2011/05/12/the-sims-3-generations-video-preview?objectid=105346

Sat May 14, 2011 5:28 pm
Well-Known Sim
Well-Known Sim

Name: Meg
^ that doesn't seem to annoying. Its just the same as 'the school bus will arrive in an hour'. just click the little 'x'. not a major inconvenience and if you think it is you must be super fussy...

Wed May 18, 2011 10:16 am
Reply to topic   [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next