View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:04 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Playing Styles 
Adrenergic
Adrenergic

Name: Kristin
Post Playing Styles
After playing Sims 4 for a while, I've realized my playing styles have changed.

With Sims 3 I was a legacy player. I never turned off aging or flipped between households or turned off story progression. Okay, so I might switch to a household for like 5 mins just to do something story progression hadn't and I really wanted to happen. But honestly, I'd play legacy style. I didn't mind kicking out spares because I knew story progression would give them a life.

Now with Sims 4 I've realized I can't play the same way. Slowly, I'm seeing myself going back to how I played Sims 2. Which is flipping between households and actually turning off aging so that I can age them all up when I want. It's very weird to go back to playing this way.

Anyone else seen their playing styles change?

John: I call shotgun.
Cameron: I call nine millimeter.

Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:11 am
Profile WWW
Simsational Poster
Simsational Poster

Name: La
Post Re: Playing Styles
I have also gone back to playing in a Sims 2 style, which is something I really missed in Sims 3. In Sims 3, I would mostly play legacy style because I didn't want Story Progression to mess with my Sims. I know that I could have turned off aging and story progression but it didn't seem quite right so I kicked out my spares (and once in a while switched to their house for a few minutes to get them married and/or pregnant) but mostly stuck with one household and played for a few generations.

Now, in Sims 4, I am back to exactly how I played in Sims 2: I start with a couple, they have a few kids, and as the kids grow up and move out, I start going from house to house, trying to play for around the same amount of time on each so they age up at a relatively similar rate. I love having that control back and I love playing out different storylines in each household without worrying about what it happening to my other families while I'm gone. I never turn aging off; so far I have found that I have enough time for everything I want to do.

Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:04 pm
Sims Addict
Sims Addict

I'm back to playing rotationally, and playing prosperity challange again.

Sims 3 was fun but I ended up making loads of saves because I like switching things up but I didn't want to switch families in the same save and having them change whilst I was away. So I'd play a single houshold for awhile, get bored and start a new save and never return. Rinse repeat.

I prefer the sims 4, like sims 2 its got the rotational friendly play but it also allows you to differentiate between played, unplayed and currently playing housholds and then decide which ones you want aging. So I can rotate through the families I care about but not have to play the ones I don't else they never age.

Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:28 am
Simsational Poster
Simsational Poster

Name: La
Absafraginlootly wrote:
I'm back to playing rotationally, and playing prosperity challange again.

Sims 3 was fun but I ended up making loads of saves because I like switching things up but I didn't want to switch families in the same save and having them change whilst I was away. So I'd play a single houshold for awhile, get bored and start a new save and never return. Rinse repeat.

I prefer the sims 4, like sims 2 its got the rotational friendly play but it also allows you to differentiate between played, unplayed and currently playing housholds and then decide which ones you want aging. So I can rotate through the families I care about but not have to play the ones I don't else they never age.

I was exactly the same way with Sims 3. I would go back to my old saves after a few months, sometimes pop in to check them out, and then just delete the save. I much prefer the Sims 2/4 style.

Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:17 pm
Adrenergic
Adrenergic

I did that with Sims 3 too... I'd have saves that I had to delete because I'd ultimately never come back to them.

It's just very weird how my playing has and I don't mind. I seriously haven't played multiple households since Sims 2 and I'm now okay with it. xD But I've just gotten okay with it now, I was not when Sims 4 came out. I was very reluctant to give up the playing style I had with Sims 3 and ultimately, majorly go back to how I played in Sims 2. Ah well.

Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:17 am
Profile WWW
Well-Known Sim
Well-Known Sim

Name: Andrew
Hm, I might be the outcast here & say that I prefer the legacy playing style. I mean I like playing both but sometimes I dont want to play every single one of my sims kids so in the sims 3 (with good story progression mods) my spare kids would actually get married & have kids etc. on their own so it'd be fun to pop in and be like "Oh crap, they have ANOTHER kid" lol, without having to micromanage each sim. Now I have to think about the # of kids I'm gonna have and how I'm gonna split them up & their rotation etc, but neighborhood play troughs are fun so I love that about the rotation style so :laugh:

Now I want to play the Sims 3 again but man that game has terrible optimization, so maybe I'll do a pleasantview run on TS2 :nod:

Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:23 am
Adrenergic
Adrenergic

You're not though, not at all. I prefer to play legacy style but Sims 4 has forced me to go back to rotational play. If we had toddlers and more distinct activities with other age groups I'd pretty much definitely go back to legacy play. But with Sims 4 it's not (for me anyways) much fun to play children or teens. Without anything to make me want to play them I'd rather play multiple households to make up for the lost excitement of playing a sim through their whole life.

I probably make no sense. But playing sims from birth until death in Sims 3 was just more fufilling.

Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:07 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]