View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:12 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Ramen 3 Minute Cooking 
Your Ghost
Your Ghost

Roleplay: Edwin Morelli
Post Ramen 3 Minute Cooking
I was trying to get into cooking awhile back and enjoying it but I haven't really done much with it since I moved. A couple weeks ago I decided I wanted to give it another go but I've been pretty uninspired. So please share recipes, give advise on cooking, and whatnot. I'll put links to any shared recipes in this first post for easy access.

Links to the recipes:
Italian Sausage Melt
Kevin's Pizza
Pot Roast
Ghost Lasagna

Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:13 am
Profile WWW
Your Ghost
Your Ghost

Post Re: Ramen 3 Minute Cooking
I made this casserole last week and it was my first real attempt at cooking since I moved. It turned out well and I'd give the recipe 4 out of 5 stars.

Italian Sausage Melt:

Spoiler:
Italian Sausage Melt

Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Start to Finish: 45 Minutes
Servings: 4 (1 cup each)

1 1/4 cups Original Bisquick mix
1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
2 tablespoons very hot water
1/2 lb bulk spicy Italian pork sausage*
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
1 cup Alfredo pasta sauce (from 16-oz jar)
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (4 oz)**
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese**
1/2 cup grape tomatoes, cut in half
2 tablespoons fresh basil leaves, cut into strips***

1. Heat oven to 400ºF. Lightly spray bottom of 8-inch square (2-quart) baking dish with cooking spray. In medium bowl, stir Bisquick mix, butter and water until dough forms. Press dough in bottom of pan.

2. In 10-inch skillet, cook sausage and bell pepper over medium-high heat 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until sausage is no longer pink; drain if necessary. Spread sausage mixture over crust; spread pasta sauce over sausage. Sprinkle with cheeses.

3. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until mixture is bubbly around edges and cheese is lightly browned. Sprinkle tomatoes and basil over top.

High Altitude (3500-6500 ft): No change.

*I used a lb of mild Italian pork sausage instead of a half lb of spicy Italian pork sausage.
**I used 6 oz of mozzarella cheese and extra Parmesan cheese. You can never go wrong with extra cheese. :D
***I did not use basil leaves.

A couple weeks ago I decided to try my hand at homemade pizza. I didn't make it from a recipe, just the directions my brother gave me. I served the pizza with Easy Street beer.

Kevin's Pizza:

Spoiler:
Kevin's Pizza
Serves 3

can of Pillsbury classic pizza crust
jar of Alfredo sauce*
ranch salad dressing
spicy Italian sausage**
shredded Italian blend cheese
Roma tomatoes, sliced
fresh spinach

1. In a skillet, cook the Italian sausage until it is no longer pink and drain if necessary, set aside.
2. Follow the directions on the pizza crust can (open the can and spread out over a baking sheet).
3. Mix some of the Alfredo sauce with a little ranch salad dressing and spread on top of the crust.
4. Sprinkle Italian sausage on top, add cheese, and then add tomatoes and fresh spinach.
5. Follow the directions on the pizza crust can for the cooking time and oven temperature.

*I used Bertolli which was good. If I was to make this again I'd try it with garlic Alfredo instead.
**My brother complained that the spicy Italian sausage was too hot.

Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:13 am
Profile WWW
Simsational Poster
Simsational Poster

Name: La
I'm trying to get into cooking too, although so far I haven't experimented much with recipes. Those two sound really good though, I will have to try them out sometime! I don't do much cooking with sausage but I love it. If I find a recipe worth sharing, I will do so. :smile:

Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:09 am
Profile WWW
Celestial
Celestial

I do all the cooking for my family, I love it. I have tons of recipes.

Pot Roast:
Spoiler:
A chuck or 7 bone roast *see note below*
1 large onion, chopped
3 or 4 carrots, chopped
2 or 3 ribs of celery, chopped
4 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 tbsp sweet paprika
1 tbsp Italian seasoning
2 bay leafs
1 cup red wine
2 cups beef stock
1 6 oz. jar of tomato paste
1 - 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
pinch of brown sugar
salt and pepper
olive oil

*both the chuck and the 7 bone are from the shoulder. They contain a lot of collagen, making them tough when not cooked properly (too fast and hot). Cooking them slowly dissolves the collagen into gelatin, giving it body and flavor. You need too look for good marbling. The chuck is easier to find, at least where I live, and is smaller (about 3 pounds +/- 1). A "7 bone roast" has a bone shaped like a 7, not 7 bones. They run about 5 pounds.

You will need a non-reactive (no cast iron or aluminium) stove-top to oven dish, such a dutch oven. If you don't have one then just use a dish big enough to hold the roast in the oven and a large skillet on the stove. (all non-reactive)

Preheat oven to it's lowest setting.**

1. Heat your skillet or whatever over medium heat on the stove top, add oil to coat the bottom and then the onion, celery and carrots. Add pinch of salt and saute until softened and bright. Add the garlic, paprika, bay, italian season, wine, broth, tomato paste and salt (don't be too heavy with the salt) and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil.

2. In the meantime, generously salt and pepper the meat. Once at a boil turn off the fire and add the meat, the liquid doesn't need to cover the meat (and it shouldn't.) Put a lid on or cover with tin foil if you don't have one. Put it in the oven. Turn it over after about 2 hours. It'll be done when you poke a fork in it and it falls apart, 3 - 5 hours.

3. Let it rest after coming out of the oven in the cooking liquid for 20 - 30 minutes, then move the meat to the platter and strain the juices. Remove the bay leaves and puree the rest. Add the puree to the juices and bring to a boil. Add the sugar and vinegar and let it reduce to taste, then add the salt and pepper. (season it after words so it's not to salty)

** some ovens won't stay on on the lowest setting. Just make sure it's 250 f or below.

I've got more, I just need to find them.

Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:35 am
Your Ghost
Your Ghost

This is a recipe for spinach lasagna that I tried. I call my modified version Ghost Lasagna because I made it on Halloween.

Ghost Lasagna

24 ounce jar of tomato sauce*
1/2 cup water
2 eggs
15 ounces ricotta cheese
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
1 cup Parmesan cheese
8 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
8 ounces Italian blend cheese**
8 no cook lasagna noodles***
2 medium sized tomatoes diced

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease one 13x9 inch baking dish.
2. Mix together the jar of tomato sauce and the water.
3. In a medium bowl, beat the eggs and combine them with the ricotta cheese, salt, spinach, and 1/2 cup of the Parmesan cheese.
4. Cook the no cook lasagna noodles for 4 minutes.
5. Spread one half cup tomato sauce mixture into the prepared baking dish. Place four of the lasagna noodles over the sauce, spread with half the spinach mixture, half the mozzarella cheese, half the Italian blend cheese, and half of the tomato sauce. Repeat the layers with a second layer of everything. Spread the tomatoes over the top and then top with the remaining Parmesan cheese. Sprinkle a little garlic salt on top.
6. Cover dish securely with aluminum foil and bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting and serving.****

*I used Classico brand for the sauce because I like it. I'm sure any of their tomato sauces would work nicely in this but I used the Fire-Roasted Tomato and Garlic one.
**If you can't find Italian blend you can substitute more mozzarella or another type of cheese.
***Even though I used no cook noodles I still cooked them for a few minutes because I was worried they wouldn't be cooked enough otherwise. The amount of time I cooked them and the amount of water I added to the sauce seemed to work out well.
****I actually let the lasagna stand for a little over 15 minutes so if you burn yourself after only waiting 10 minutes, don't blame me!

Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:28 am
Profile WWW
Adrenergic
Adrenergic

Name: Kristin
I really really want to make that lasagna! But my parents don't think a meal is a meal without meat, plus my Dad doesn't like ricotta. I wonder if I could half the recipe and make myself some. :P

I really will try to find you that peanut butter pie recipe plus some other recipes I really love. I so want to get back to cooking. I like doing it. It's been hard to find time for anything lately but that'll change in a few weeks!

John: I call shotgun.
Cameron: I call nine millimeter.

Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:02 am
Profile WWW
Your Ghost
Your Ghost

My Dad and brother Kevin are the same way. /: You might be able to add meat to the recipe but I'm not sure. Also if your Dad doesn't like ricotta I should tell you that the original recipe mentioned that you can substitute cottage cheese for the ricotta, though that didn't sound as tasty to me (its probably healthier haha). I'm afraid that none of the recipes I'm going to share are going to have meat so this might be a recurring problem. xD

I don't have much time either but I want to get back into cooking too. My plan is to try once a week on one of my days off. I tried making pancakes Wednesday and it went terribly. I thought pancakes were suppose to be easy. >_>

Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:15 pm
Profile WWW
Adrenergic
Adrenergic

Name: Kristin
My Dad will eat ricotta though. And hell, if I cooked my parents and sister would eat it anyways. xD Yuck cottage cheese... D:

I looked for that peanut butter recipe but I didn't find it. Instead, I found another one that sounds similar. I'm going to wait to post it after I try it though. *nod* Still, I have to share some of my other favorite recipes! Just realized I posted them on Pink Imoen. haha Okay so I only have one then. And it's easy! It's potato soup. Oh wait I'm too lazy to get up. Will edit it in in an hour or so. xD

John: I call shotgun.
Cameron: I call nine millimeter.

Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:21 pm
Profile WWW
Your Ghost
Your Ghost

Oh yum potato soup sounds good. o: I tried making mushroom stroganoff tonight and wasn't that impressed with how it turned out. The recipe had onion in it and I didn't cook it long enough (the recipe just said to cook until it was soft so I didn't know what that meant heh) and it just wasn't like the stroganoff that my Mom used to make me. I guess I should have asked her for a recipe instead of looking online.

Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:25 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]