View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 radical christian preachers on college campuses 
come hither
come hither

Post radical christian preachers on college campuses
Sorry this topic is so narrow in scope. I just wanted to see if people agreed with my logic to something a preacher said.

Preacher: "I have been spit on, approached angrily, and (other unpleasant things), and they say I'm the hater?"
He was talking in a calm matter stating that he was not the hater because people who disagreed with him were the ones using angry tones of voice.

Isn't he still technically the hater though? I mean if I was on campus peacefully talking about how Christianity was immoral and churches needed to be torn down and self proclaimed Christians needed to be put in jail (or worse), and that it was for their own good because I'm just trying to save their soul, shouldn't I expect a few Christians to be angry at me and say something mean because they were feeling attacked? Wouldn't I still be the closed minded hater for wanting to limit every Christians rights on the basis that "my version of morality is better than yours, so you wouldn't understand"?

Is being intolerant of intolerance the same thing as standard intolerance?

Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:57 pm
come hither
come hither

Post Re: radical christian preachers on college campuses
No it's fine.

This place is so dead.

UGH.

Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:37 am
Simsational Poster
Simsational Poster

Being spit on isn't cool, but being criticized? That's going to happen. I don't know where many get this idea that freedom of speech is "I can say what I want, and everybody has to either agree with it or remain silent". That's NOT freedom of speech... But then again, these same individuals aren't likely to understand what freedom of religion is either, so... =/

Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:27 pm
Simsational Poster
Simsational Poster

Name: La
I feel like tolerance has become a one-way street. You have to tolerate my beliefs but I don't have to tolerate yours.

I think that labeling someone a "hater" because they don't agree with something is very immature and intolerant. In most cases, the Christians who speak out against things are doing so based on their beliefs, not because they hate a specific person or group. I think they feel that if they don't speak out against something that goes against their beliefs, they are basically saying that it's okay. They don't hate the person or the group but they hate the sin and so they stand up for what they think is right. It's not about hate or about trying to make people feel bad, it's maybe trying to reach people and spread a different message. If they are doing it out of love and for the right reasons, the message they spread will be one of hope and love and peace.

If it is being done in a calm, respectful manner then I think that any signs of aggression toward the person are uncalled for and immature. If I were in that place and I saw someone holding a demonstration for something that I didn't agree with, I would hope that my response would be to either walk away and pray for that person/group or to go up to them and talk to them. Starting a dialogue with someone on the opposite side of an issue doesn't have to always be a fight or an argument; at least one person just needs to know when it's time to walk away. I just don't think it's fair to say that people who are pro-nachos can have groups and events and flaunt their love of nachos but the anti-nacho people have to shut up and never voice their opinion and be labeled as evil and haters if they ever do.

Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:30 pm
Profile WWW
come hither
come hither

Radiant wrote:
Being spit on isn't cool, but being criticized? That's going to happen. I don't know where many get this idea that freedom of speech is "I can say what I want, and everybody has to either agree with it or remain silent". That's NOT freedom of speech... But then again, these same individuals aren't likely to understand what freedom of religion is either, so... =/

Are you Bassoon Girl? I just wanted to say I'm sorry for how mean I was when I was 14/15. I don't know why I was so angry, but I'm not the insecure bully I once was! I'm sure you brushed me off seeing how most of what I said was nonsense, but I thought I would apologize anyway.

Also I agree with your response. Freedom of speech does not mean freedom to not have your ideas criticized.

Also, Lola, I like your response and just wanted to say that I am not condoning spitting on people or yelling at them when you don't like what they have to say.

I'm just saying, if a Jewish person angrily yelled at a pro-holocaust Nazi protester, I would not call the Nazi the innocent victim, and the Jew the hater. (exagerrated example, but trying to make a point.) I'm not sure, the protester just struck a chord with me

Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:29 am
Simsational Poster
Simsational Poster

Name: La
No worries Justin much?, I didn't think you were condoning it. :smile:

To me, someone condemning people or promoting murder and holocaust-like things is hate speech. As a Christian myself, I believe that only God can judge whether or not someone is going to hell and that it is not my place to decide who lives or dies. In your example, Justin, I agree that the Nazi would not be an innocent victim and the Jew would not be the hater. In my opinion, those two things would be reversed.

Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:28 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]