View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:18 pm

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Important Notes to CAW Creators 
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post Important Notes to CAW Creators
Hey guys,

May Notes:

- So with the release of the new TS3 Expansion Pack Generations, there will probably be an update made for CAW around Generation's release. No one knows what the update will do so I highly suggest that CAW creators start saving their CAW to their desktop or to back up your files (if you have a program or method that you recommend, now would be the time to share it please).

Or I recommend that you upload your world to the exchange before the updated version of CAW gets released. If you choose to do this, I recommend uploading your world around May 28th at the latest. My reason behind this is that the updated version of CAW may get released just before Generations is in stores and it's just better to be safe than sorry. Also the exchange may not "recognize" your world after the CAW update is released because you would be trying to upload a world that is from an older version of CAW; so uploading your world before the new CAW tool is released is a definite 'must'.

June Notes:

-
Profplumbob wrote:
A new important note to CAW users; many people have reported that updating your game to 1.22 without Generations will cause Edit In Game(CAW) to not function anymore. Currently, the only solution to those with this problem is to install Generations. We will wait for EA's response otherwise.

Last edited by Scryer on Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

Thu May 19, 2011 5:36 pm
I'm a Stereo
I'm a Stereo

Name: Joe
Post Re: An Important Note to CAW Creators
So hang on, if I'm in the middle of a world, I won't be able to upload it to the site after Generations is released, AND if I download the new version of CAW I'll have to restart my world? Or do you mean I will have to save my worlds somewhere else and then reload them when the new version is downloaded?

Thu May 19, 2011 6:17 pm
Profile WWW
Sim Goddess
Sim Goddess

Name: Charlie
Ah good note scryer! Didn't actually think of this, and Joe it means the second Part of what you said! :P although it should only apply if you DO download the new version, which will be neccisary for it to be playable, I assume.

Thu May 19, 2011 8:10 pm
Adrenergic
Adrenergic

Name: Kristin
I'm going to stick this (at least for the time being). :]

John: I call shotgun.
Cameron: I call nine millimeter.

Thu May 19, 2011 8:29 pm
Profile WWW
Custom Title
Custom Title

Name: Derek
I doubt that they will update CAW. Haven't they only updated it once?

Thu May 19, 2011 8:48 pm
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

ɭestrɑnge wrote:
So hang on, if I'm in the middle of a world, I won't be able to upload it to the site after Generations is released, AND if I download the new version of CAW I'll have to restart my world? Or do you mean I will have to save my worlds somewhere else and then reload them when the new version is downloaded?

Exactly. If a new version of CAW is released and if you are still using an older version of CAW, then you probably won't be able to upload your world to the exchange because the exchange will be altered to only recognize the new version of CAW. I don't think that this will happen until Generation's release date.... And that would be assuming that they release an updated CAW tool.

The CAW updates don't work like the TS3 game updates; you have to actually uninstall CAW and reinstall CAW from the TS3 site to get the updated version. This will erase all of the files that you have saved in CAW.

My suggestion is to save your world (the .world file if I remember correctly) outside of CAW and when you get the new version of CAW, you can just open it from the place you saved it in. But that's assuming that everything goes smoothly.

Swatme101 wrote:
I doubt that they will update CAW. Haven't they only updated it once?

They've definitely updated it more than once... You can tell because creators can place AMB and LN "world objects" (like the LN bridge and the AMB train tracks) into their worlds. To be honest with you guys, I doubt that they will update CAW as well just because we're not being given a new neighbourhood which most likely means that there won't be any new "world objects" to use. But with EA, you never know; it could just be one cloud spawner or something! And I know that I won't be risking my CAW's progress.

Bottom Line: Start thinking of backing up your files now. It never hurts anyone to do this.

Thu May 19, 2011 11:20 pm
Forum Friend
Forum Friend

I'm confused, I've never had this problem with Coconut Island, that dates back to WA(actually started before I had WA). is this a new Generations problem? I've never had to restart my world due to installing new expansions and reinstalling/updating CAW.

Fri May 20, 2011 12:29 pm
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Profplumbob wrote:
I'm confused, I've never had this problem with Coconut Island, that dates back to WA(actually started before I had WA). is this a new Generations problem? I've never had to restart my world due to installing new expansions and reinstalling/updating CAW.

That is weird because I have personally had to do that many times with Sim City. I've also heard of other people having to do the same as me on the Mod the Sims forums.

It isnt a new Generations problem, it's just a problem that CAW has in general. Because you have to uninstall CAW and install the new version, it probably won't remember what you did in the previous CAW. Updating your CAW tool is like installing a new "game" to your computer since it doesn't overwrite the older version of CAW. This has been a problem for me since EA started releasing EPs after CAW was released. With EA, effects really do vary from computer to computer lol. I mean, I am not experiencing half of the problems with LN that other people are :laugh: . And whenever I have installed a new version of CAW, all of my worlds are erased.

Like I mentioned briefly before; I don't think that EA will release an updated version of CAW when Gen is released because Gen doesn't give us a new neighbourhood which would have new world objects.

Fri May 20, 2011 5:53 pm
Renderlicous
Renderlicous

Name: Jack
I've never had to uninstall CAW before... all I've done is run the new installer and it's installed over the last version, and all my worlds are still there. :huh:

Sat May 21, 2011 2:53 am
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Draik wrote:
I've never had to uninstall CAW before... all I've done is run the new installer and it's installed over the last version, and all my worlds are still there. :huh:

Lol I guess I (among others in the MTS forums) are one of the few who have had major issues doing that.

Sat May 21, 2011 3:36 am
Sim Goddess
Sim Goddess

When I updated caw once all my files became corrupt. Maybe it's only for some people..? :/

Mon May 23, 2011 11:13 am
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

OKAY guys, so if you install Generations you cannot open CAW because it hasn't been updated yet. SO BACK UP YOUR WORLDS BEFORE YOU INSTALL GENERATIONS!! I can't stress that enough to the CAW creators.

Tue May 31, 2011 6:23 pm
Sim Goddess
Sim Goddess

I may just have forgotten to do this and lost my world...

Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:17 pm
Forum Friend
Forum Friend

so did I charlie. :wha: Do you at least have an exported version of it? Because then you can rip it out in S3PE and open it back up in CAW. I had to do this with Coconut Island 2.0 and that's what I have to do now with the latest update of 3.0 since I stupidly deleted the user data when reinstalling(*smack*). Luckily I haven't lost any work as I've been tomb building in the actual game and saving the lots to the bin.

Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:09 am
Sim Goddess
Sim Goddess

Crisis over! I have it back!! =D It now works after I reinstalled CAW. Weirdly enough all the saved files stayed...? So I didn't loose it after all, although it was scary for a moment... haha.

Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:36 pm
Forum Friend
Forum Friend

Good to hear! I just got Coconut Island up and running again as well! :yeah:

Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:53 am
Sim Goddess
Sim Goddess

woop woop!!!

Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:51 pm
Forum Friend
Forum Friend

A new important note to CAW users; many people have reported that updating your game to 1.22 without Generations will cause Edit In Game(CAW) to not function anymore. Currently, the only solution to those with this problem is to install Generations. We will wait for EA's response otherwise.

Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:09 am
Sim Goddess
Sim Goddess

Thank god I haven't got to that stage yet... Theres no way in hell I'll be buying generations because they're breaking their own software.

Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:44 pm
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Perhaps I should reorganize the main post of this thread :laugh: ?

*Shuffles off to do so*

Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:56 am
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next