View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Project: Pleasantview 
Renderlicous
Renderlicous

Name: Jack
Post Project: Pleasantview

That's right, all eight of the main neighbourhoods and sub-neighbourhoods from The Sims 2, merged, recreated and updated for use with The Sims 3. Live the quiet life in Pleasantview, go searching for answers in Strangetown, vendetta against your enemies in Veronaville, live the fast lane in Downtown, browse the shops in Bluewater Village, tend your garden in Riverblossom Hills, find something new to do in Desiderata Valley or live the city life in Belladonna Cove.
This enormous project aims to recreate not only the actual neighbourhoods, but all of the houses and community lots - as well as all of the main Sims, and wrap it all up in a neat little Sims 3 world file. Due to world size limitations, 3 of the neighbourhoods, Veronaville, Riverblossom Hills and Desiderata Valley only have the occupied houses and community lots, all of which have been moved into Pleasantview. In addition to these eight neighbourhoods, there will also be as many of the beta neighbourhood lots and houses (Those coming from either Riverside or Waterside) I can find and recreate, as well as a number of houses and sims from Oldtown whose storylines weren't carried over into The Sims 2.
Each of the neighbourhoods have been re-imagined as a separate island in an archipelago, to explain for the sudden shift in geographical location. There are also a number of smaller, inaccessible islands that will contain treasure-heavy tombs and large deposits of rare collectibles.

Currently, the world is going to require World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations and a number of custom content items which will be grouped together in one single folder alongside the world file so you won't have to go scavenger hunting for them. The world is going to require each of the expansion packs for a number of different reasons, World Adventures because it will have a great number of hidden tombs throughout the world that relate to a Bella Goth-themed mega-adventure, Ambitions for a number of new venue types, as well as the community lot registers, Late Night for pretty much everything in Downtown and Belladonna Cove, and Generations for a bunch of little things. No stuff packs will be required, nor anything from the Sims 3 Store. As future expansion packs come out, they will also be required, as one of the minor goals I hope to achieve in this world is to have a single world that caters to the new gameplay introduced in each expansion to the game.
There will be a small amount of custom content required, mainly neighbourhood objects converted as well as some clothing and hair conversions. There will be a folder included in the world upload that you can dump directly into your Mods folder that will include everything you'll need, so you won't need to go searching for anything or download CC individually. There will also most likely be a completely optional "Suggested mods" folder included as well as the required custom content, these mods will help the overall playability of the world, but won't be necessary for those who are against modifications to their gameplay.

At the moment, no clue. The world is absolutely nowhere near completion, there are still an enormous about of lots to be recreated, as well as all of the sims, a lot of terrain sculpting to be done in Create a World, programming of the Bella adventure, sim and camera routing, placement of trees, collectables, neighbourhood decorations, etc. Currently this topic is more of a process journal detailing updates and screenshots. When everything is built and ready, I'll release a beta version that will require a huge amount of playtesting to smooth out any errors that might pop up.

In addition to the 8 neighbourhoods, there will also be a very, very long 'adventure' based around Bella Goth's disappearance prior to The Sims 2. This has been subject to a lot of stories, rumours and theories throughout the lifespan of the game, and has been a minor part of gameplay as well, beginning with paintings named after her and a clone of her existing in Strangetown, finally culminating with a monolithic statue of her holding her own plumbob in a town that was apparently named after her.
There will be hidden tomb lots, secret graveyards and an enormous scavenger hunt-type story revolving around her disappearance. It will be completely optional, so if you don't want to do it, you won't have to. I still have yet to iron out the wrinkles for it, there's still a lot of planning and then having to program it all into the world, but it's going to be quite exciting.

Eh, coming soon. There's some miscellaneous pictures in all of the update posts, you can find them below.

Update 1: Basic terrain sculpting and road placement for Bluewater and Pleasantview.
Update 2: Basic terrain sculpting and road placement for Downtown and Belladonna.
Update 3: Pleasantview: 6 Condo houses finished, 3 shopping/community lots done, work started on barbie house. Belladonna: first 2 central park sections done, work started on alleyway neighbourhood objects.
Update 4: Pleasantview: Almost all of the lots finished. Downtown: New road layout to make it open neighbourhood-friendly, 10 promenade lots, central park, city hall, stairs and work started on residential areas.
Update 5: Moar on downtown, distant terrain's been moved, a lot of downtown lots remade. Base of the Bella statue in Belladonna Cove built, now I just need a Bella.
Update 6: Lots of terrain editing, 4 more neighbourhoods planned and incorporated (that's a total of 8!), random work done on roads and sidewalks, miscellaneous lot building.

Last edited by Draik on Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:42 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Sun May 22, 2011 12:59 pm
I'm a Stereo
I'm a Stereo

Name: Joe
Post Re: Sims 2 to Sims 3: 4 Neighbourhood Megaproject
I like the idea :happy: though I never really had time to play on the other n'hoods in TS2, always trying to make my own and never succeeding. Would be awesome to see how it works though.

Sun May 22, 2011 2:11 pm
Profile WWW
Custom Title
Custom Title

Name: Derek
Wow... that looks REALLY hard. Are u sure you are up to that?

Sun May 22, 2011 3:46 pm
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

You should totally give it a shot! Post screens when you are ready; I am interested in your progress!

Sun May 22, 2011 5:40 pm
Renderlicous
Renderlicous

Progress report!
After a horrible moment when I somehow calculated that I wouldn't have enough room to fit all 4 neighbourhoods in (A TS2 neighbourhood is made up of 128x128 'squares' where each 'square' is actually 10 tiles by ten tiles, therefore a TS2 neighbourhood is 1280 tiles by 1280 tiles, and the biggest world is 2048x2048 tiles...) I managed to sort it out and start roadwork!
Bluewater Village is basically done, there's just details and terrain painting to get done, as well as trees and objects and all that stuff. The roads are down for Pleasantview, I've done a little bit of terrain sculpting, mainly just the hilly bit that leads up to the bridge. I was either going to use the long-ass Bridgeport suspension bridge or have to use a bunch of smaller ones but screw up the river to get them to connect to each other, so I went with Bridgeport. I'll start on Downtown next, then move on to Belladonna Cove, then the smaller islands in the river, which will probably have tombs or hidden lots or something on them so they're not just for show.

Just a note here, I've measured out each stretch of road from TS2 and copied it exactly for TS3. I've quite literally spent hours counting squares.

Needless to say, I'll be making full use of the subway systems. Commuting from Belladonna Cove to Bluewater Village would be a bitch!

Screenies!
Spoiler:
Bluewater Village! This was by far my favourite neighbourhood to use as a base. Plenty of space for a beachfront boardwalk!

More Bluewater Village. It looks quite ugly without the neighbourhood decorations...
Pleasantview, and the beginnings of Downtown. Ain't that sheer cliff purdy? :shift:

Moar Pleasantview because it took forever to duplicate. Looks like I missed a spot there next to the bridge. :\

Future site of Belladonna Cove.

Tue May 24, 2011 10:33 am
I'm a Stereo
I'm a Stereo

Name: Joe
Super awesome! I can't wait to see more!

Tue May 24, 2011 10:38 am
Profile WWW
Forum Friend
Forum Friend

You did a great job laying out a seamless blueprint. I'm sure once you get all the landscaping and roads done, you can find enough people to help you build the lots. I'll build a couple! There's also the ModtheSims2 neighborhood that has the Pleasantview lots remade, maybe you could use those?

Tue May 24, 2011 10:44 am
Renderlicous
Renderlicous

Roads are finished!
About 8 hours all up, and the roads are finally in place. Thank christ it all fit is all I have to say. I had to do a little moving around to be able to fit Belladonna Cove in with enough room on the edges, but I managed it. I'm putting in all the lots now, so I'll know where to put the trees and other decorations.
I've managed to fit one of the distant terrains in, so I don't have to do something major with the routing to make it believable that part of the world is on the mainland. The final product looks a little different to the drawing I did, mainly because of lack of room. As it stands, Pleasantview and Bluewater Village are on an island that is connected to the mainland (Downtown and Belladonna Cove) via the bridge in Pleasantview.

Also, terrain sculpting isn't final! It's super-rough at the moment and I'll be working on it alongside the lots. Hopefully I'll be able to blend it semi-seamlessly with the distant terrain behind it.

I'm also really looking forward to getting around to Belladonna Cove, the avenues and alleys will be fun to make from sidewalks. :yeah:

Spoiler:
Looking out over Bluewater onto the mainland...

...and again from Pleasantview.

Downtown!

And Belladonna Cove.

Yaynostalgia! :ton:

Wed May 25, 2011 10:59 am
Sim Goddess
Sim Goddess

Name: Charlie
Holy Crap this is lookign sweet! I can't wait to see this as it develops!! You got those old NHs' down to a tee!
So is belladonnacove going to be like the downtown area? I remeber it being the most built up NH. Its a shame strangetown can't be included. But i guess having grass then dessert would look a lil weird hehe. Please tell me you're going to make the lots as close as you can as well? :)

Wed May 25, 2011 9:36 pm
Custom Title
Custom Title

Wow. This is sick. You will need a shit load of tree placeage and maybe even some neighborhood decoration conversions for it to look good. Looks pretty bare! But then again, a lot of TS2 towns were pretty bare.

Wed May 25, 2011 9:55 pm
Beyond Devoted
Beyond Devoted

Name: Jawsh
wow! That layout is quite schmexy! Looking good!

I am Electra Heart.

Thu May 26, 2011 7:19 pm
Adrenergic
Adrenergic

Name: Kristin
Phew! That's gonna be hard but good luck! Can't wait to see more pictures. I honestly never played any of them but Pleasantview really early after I got the game.

John: I call shotgun.
Cameron: I call nine millimeter.

Thu May 26, 2011 9:38 pm
Profile WWW
Renderlicous
Renderlicous

I've remade the four parks in Belladonna Cove and the pool in Pleasantview just to see how long it takes and how accurate I can get the lots... Thank god EA are lazy and reused or remade most of the objects from TS2. Still not sure how I'll handle rabbit holes... The double use buildings that came with Late Night will work for Belladonna Cove and Downtown because they had building neighbourhood decorations. Hopefully I'll fit at least 2 of each rabbit holes into the world, probably in Bluewater or Belladonna because they both have an abundance of shops and apartments.

Thu May 26, 2011 11:42 pm
Forum Friend
Forum Friend

Bluewater has that nice empty strip along the beach that would be a good spot to build a boardwalk with small town rabbit holes like the movie theater, spa, grocery store and book store.

Fri May 27, 2011 8:21 am
Simsational Poster
Simsational Poster

Name: La
Wow, that world looks huge! I love it, can't wait to see the finished product!

Fri May 27, 2011 5:14 pm
Profile WWW
Renderlicous
Renderlicous

Progress report!
I've added a few small islands into the river separating Bluewater and Pleasantview from the mainland, and started building some of the Pleasantview houses. I'm trying to keep Pleasantview as close to the TS2 version as possible, but I'll get a little more creative with the other towns. So far I've finished the condos and the three community lots in Pleasantview, as well as two of the central park lots in Belladonna. I've also started on the 'dollhouse' in Pleasantview.
It was SUPER nostalgic remaking the condos, especially the Lothario and Caliente ones. I copied all of the RBG info from the TS2 versions of walls into TS3, so hopefully they are as accurate as possible. Just reading the words 'Beechy Keen' and 'Paste Paint' put a massive smile on my face. Dorky, I know. :ton:
Anyway, pictures!
Spoiler:
Anyone remember these bad boys?
How about these? I turned the completely redundant clothes shop into a salon, by the way.
This house has been a bastard to remake. :stare:
The ever-growing Pleasantview!
This was a totally awesome idea I had - using the footpaths as those alleys from Belladonna. Yes, I ripped the textures directly from TS2 because I am that OCD.

Sun May 29, 2011 10:32 am
Custom Title
Custom Title

Wow! You got good progress going. Now, did you download the houses or make them yourself? Plus, how did you do it if you created them yourself? Did you open both games at once?

Mon May 30, 2011 3:50 am
Beyond Devoted
Beyond Devoted

Name: Jawsh
O_O...
Amazing.
No other words to describe. D:

I am Electra Heart.

Mon May 30, 2011 12:46 pm
Renderlicous
Renderlicous

Swatme101 wrote:
Wow! You got good progress going. Now, did you download the houses or make them yourself? Plus, how did you do it if you created them yourself? Did you open both games at once?

I made the lots myself. I've hooked my tv up so it can act as a second monitor, and I just open both games up on each monitor. Yesterday I made the trailer houses, two of the empty houses and started that gigantic mansion. All I can say on that lot is that it is so not architecturally stable. I've had to put up heaps of support walls to be able to build on the second floor. :stare:
I'll have new pictures up by tomorrow, hopefully some comparison ones as well!

Tue May 31, 2011 12:14 am
Beyond Devoted
Beyond Devoted

Looking good, I'm trying to make a small island neighborhood right now (called Suda Island) but I majorly suck at making nice looking mountains. Although I'm pleased that I think I've gotten more comfortable placing roads then I was before. Have to make sure to align them with the grid so lots line up with the road properly...learned that today.

This sounds like a very exciting project. :)

Tue May 31, 2011 1:48 am
Reply to topic   [ 121 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next