View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
 First Impressions 
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post First Impressions
Okay... So for those who have the game, what are your first impressions of it so far?

Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:01 am
Well-Known Sim
Well-Known Sim

Post Re: First Impressions
I love it:) learning still on the resorts and hope I don't get eaten by a shark :laugh:

Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:07 am
Simsational Poster
Simsational Poster

Name: Mathias
I love it too, but Isla Paradiso has alot of routing problems which makes the world a bit choppy... But everything is awesome, will start to run a hotell later tonight, im excited over it lol xD

EDIT: Most of the choppiness got fixed when i installed Error trap and Overwatch, so now i can enjoy Isla Paradiso to the max!

Last edited by SimsTias on Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:04 pm
Profile WWW
Simsational Poster
Simsational Poster

Name: La
I love it! I literally cannot wait until I have time to play again. I started working on the "Hogan's Hideaway" resort (I think that's what it's called...) that was $0 and I have worked it up from a 1 or 1.5-star rating to 3 stars! I haven't explored the town much because my sim is either working at the resort, scuba diving, or working as a lifeguard at one of the beaches.

A tip for anyone who wants to start running a resort right away, instead of saving up money first: instead of buying a house, buy a small port for $0 so you have more money available to upgrade the resort.

The lifeguard profession is fun, some times there is nothing to do but survey the beach and other time there are sims drowning and needing CPR all over the place! It starts out with only working 4 days a week so that leaves lots of time for my sim to also be working at the resort or exploring underwater.

My sim has been able to scuba dive at Rocky Reef and Davey Jones Locker and so far he has encountered a shark and two mermen. The shark didn't really pay attention to him and I was hoping to find a mermaid but haven't yet. He also found a treasure chest, which he was able to open, and got some cash and jewels.

I have to agree with SimTias - the routing is sometimes a little unusual. Since there are different islands, your sim may end up taking a taxi to the water, then a water taxi to the island, then another taxi to the destination. It's not a huge deal for me though.

Overall, I really love this EP and I can't wait to keep building up my resort!

Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:53 pm
Sim Goddess
Sim Goddess

I suppose my first impressions are slightly more on the negative side than positive. I did the usual thing I do when I get an expansion and look through all the new objects, and there really wasn't much. Though I kind of excepted that because it was more of a gameplay expansion, so I suppose that wasn't really a pro or con thing for me. The first thing that made me go "wtf" were the boats. I really do like them, but I was really disappointed with the more expensive boats because they didn't allow you to fish from them like the cheaper ones. The 2nd most expensive boat (don't remember all their names) is the one that most people would fish from in the real world. My brother in law has a boat somewhat similar to it that he fishes from. So I was a little confused on why it was mainly used for travel. The speed boat I could understand not allowing fishing, but not the other one. It just made no sense to me

The pathing was a little strange as well, as mentioned. Probably because the AI isn't really used to finding paths located on several islands. When I had purchased that basically free resort, my sim went off to head to the city hall. He first used his boat, then took a taxi, due to it being on another island (no bridges btw). I didn't mind this or anything, but what I didn't notice was when my sim parked his boat, it didn't disappear into his inventory like it did other times. It stayed there on the water. Then other sims who were trying to leave the island were all just standing there constantly getting the route fail emote until I finally got back into my boat and left. They were then able to leave in their own boats

After buying the resort, I decided to go visit and take a look at it. Once I had gotten there I realized why it was basically free. It needed some desperate work and clean up, which I actually found quite fun to do. However I guess I was expecting abit more out of resorts. I remember hearing it was going to be something close to Open for Business, but really it doesn't come anywhere close. It's closer to what the Vacation expansion was for Sims 2 (like the motels). So I guess that's where most of my disappointment comes from. It's cool that you can upgrade the buildings and what not, but they just happen to be more rabbit holes. Somehow my resort can hold 27 people, even though it only looks like there's enough room for 3-6

The new buffet table I'm a little frustrated with. When I read the first reviews on the resort, people complained about there not being any dinner or breakfast servings, while another complimented on the great lunch serving. Well apparently you have to cycle the serving manually (I had left it on lunch and forgotten about it). It's almost like you need 3-5 different buffet tables all with different meal servings to please everyone, which is kind of costly. You can't even hire someone to change it for you, unless I'm missing something somewhere. I haven't actually bought the food serving stand yet, so I don't know if that will make any kind of difference yet. Changing the serving manually just isn't an option for me. It's way too easy to get side tracked, especially with larger families

I haven't actually tried the diving yet, so I can't comment on that. Watching LGR's review though, I'm not a fan of large shadowed creatures in the dark depths of the water :ahh: The new diving suit is pretty cool though, so it's something I'll check out soon. I'll also have to check out the new lifeguard career, I almost forgot about that

Some of the houses are also very nicely done. I was quite impressed with some of them

So far my thoughts on the expansion is "It's an ok expansion." It's not great, but it's not bad. It is probably one I could have skipped though. I'll play more of it to see if my opinion changes

Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:14 pm
Simsational Poster
Simsational Poster

Speaking of the Lazy Gamer Review, here it is:

He gives it a fairly good review.

I also forget to change the type of food on the buffet, and even when I do, they still complain. If my sim had a family, I feel like it would continue to get more difficult so having a number of buffet tables is a must.

Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:52 pm
Well-Known Sim
Well-Known Sim

:sad: I notice my sims3 island paradise game has lots of glithes. I click on my sims to snorel. he goes in for a split sec and he jumps back on land, I even made a pool he starts to snorel and ends up on land again, even in the big deep spots he gets in and lands somewhere else, starting to get inoring :mad: my resorts a big hit got 3 stars :smile: named it Paradise heaven:) just want my sims to be able to snorel so he can go deeper and explores the deep.

Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:04 am
Simsational Poster
Simsational Poster

I think I have found another bug - literally. My resort guests were continually complaining about cockroaches but I couldn't see any, and my maintenance staff was always doing the "route failure" dance, sometimes for sim-hours on end. Then, i accidentally went down one too many floors and ended up underground, since I have a pool in the resort, and that's where I see a bunch of red cockroaches! So they are underground, where my maintenance crew can't go because there isn't anything down there, but the guests still complain about them. :mad:

Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:34 pm
Simsational Poster
Simsational Poster

Name: Mathias
I'll have to change my first impressions to: I HATE IT!

This EP is full of routing problems, even if you have Overwatch and typ "Resetsim *" every freaking minute.

I wonder how much they can F#ck up the next EP too. I'll guess that game will have routing troubles too, because it's the Sims 3...

Right now i just want it to be August 20-21 so we can learn stuff about The Sims 4 so i'll get to know if i want it or not. Because, honestly, i won't ever buy The Sims if it turns out like The Sims 3 again.

Horrible EP releases (They should have had Generations, Pets, Seasons and Island Paradise as the first 4 EP's. Not WA, AMB, LN and GEN...)

Horrible engine - if they use a good engine and make the game run in 64-bit. Then The Sims 4 will be pretty much saved from chaos.

Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:57 pm
Profile WWW
Well-Known Sim
Well-Known Sim

ok calm down :smile: my game running fine resort at star 3 and a half, must be a glitch my sims love my resort only problem so far was not enough food stand lil piggys :laugh: I have lots of grand buffet plenty of snacks out. so do this reinstall your game see if that don't help with your problems:)

Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:34 am
Well-Known Sim
Well-Known Sim

wow hun you got roaches? have no issues with thoses I was told by one guest I have a clean place workers must working over time he not seen one trash on ground :smile:

Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:40 am
Simsational Poster
Simsational Poster

Yup, I have three, highly paid maintenance workers and they can't get to the roaches underground so they won't go away.

Also, my sims in Isla Paradiso suddenly just stopped aging when I was playing yesterday. I moved my current family to a new town, to get away from the cockroaches as well, but I didn't continue playing long enough to see if that fixed the aging problem. Maybe I will just delete that save file and start over.

Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:31 pm
Well-Known Sim
Well-Known Sim

:sad: ss hun your game messing up good luck hope you work it all out :smile:

Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:14 am
Adrenergic
Adrenergic

Name: Kristin
I know I'm really late to this but I just got it a few days ago.

But I like it. I don't like it as much as I have other EPs (like Generations, Late Night, or University) but I do like it. Resorts are neat though I got bored of it after a sim week or so. There's only so much you can expand upon with them once you get the resort rating high enough. I do, however, adore house boats. I love that my sims can own more than one house. They own their main house, a house boat, and a resort. It's really easy to switch between the multiple houses. Much better than I thought it'd be anyways. Scuba diving is kinda fun. I'm working towards getting to meet a mermaid hopefully. :P I like the new objects. I find a good bit of them fairly useful. :D Um, I don't really use the clothes (since I'm a CC-a-holic) but a lot of them very nice. I thought they'd be over the top island-y themed. I like the small things like the beach towels, playing in the sand, playing in the ocean, the sharks that make sims pee themselves (xD!), houseboats, ports, the ability to move a household directly to another world, how pretty Isla Paradiso is, and yeah that's all I can think of.

For the bad, yeah there are routing issues at times. I've had a few times where sims reset to home. Usually it happens after they are in the water on a public boat. It happens more often with kid sims for some reason or at least it has with me. I don't think scuba diving will have much longevity as far as play. I doubt I'll ever really run another resort again.

John: I call shotgun.
Cameron: I call nine millimeter.

Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:13 pm
Profile WWW
Your Ghost
Your Ghost

Roleplay: Edwin Morelli
Kira wrote:
[...]I like the new objects. I find a good bit of them fairly useful. :D[...]

What are the objects you like? o: (This made me curious so I'm asking.)

Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:04 am
Profile WWW
Adrenergic
Adrenergic

Name: Kristin
Shadow wrote:
Kira wrote:
[...]I like the new objects. I find a good bit of them fairly useful. :D[...]

What are the objects you like? o: (This made me curious so I'm asking.)

I honestly don't remember. xD I haven't started up my game in weeks. Remind me to look at some point. Though I won't have a day off until at least Monday, maybe even Tuesday.

John: I call shotgun.
Cameron: I call nine millimeter.

Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:46 am
Profile WWW
Your Ghost
Your Ghost

Roleplay: Edwin Morelli
I've waited this long I can wait that much longer. xD

Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:28 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]