View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:40 pm

Reply to topic  [ 273 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
 Info From the Strategy Guide *SPOILERS* 
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post Info From the Strategy Guide *SPOILERS*
I got home from work a few minutes ago, and what was waiting on my doorstep? The Prima Official Game Guide to The Sims 3! I'll be scouring it for any interesting tidbits of info I haven't read/heard of elsewhere, but in the meantime, if there is anything specific you'd like to ask about, just sing out.

For reference, the guide is broken into 10 chapters, indexed as follows:

CHAPTER 1 - WHAT'S NEW explains all of the revolutionary and evolutionary features in TS3.

CHAPTER 2 - CREATING A SIM helps you understand all of the new tools for fashioning Sims out of digital clay. Learn how to make physical changes to your new Sims and discover how assigning traits shapes their personalities.

CHAPTER 3 - CREATING A HOUSE digs into the building process. We show you how to use Build Mode and Buy Mode to erect your new house then build on to it when the Simoleons start rolling in. We also detail all of the existing lots you can move into if you want to jump into a premade life.

CHAPTER 4 - A DAY IN THE LIFE is all about the unfolding life of your new sim. This chapter talks about getting settled into your house, meeting neighbors, and starting a job.

CHAPTER 5 - SIMOLOGY drills down into what makes your sims tick. Every trait is detailed here and the effects they have not only on personality, but on jobs and relationships. Moods and moodlets are elaborated here, so you can keep your sim happy. Goals and wishes are also detailed here.

CHAPTER 6 - RELATIONSHIPS AND AGING talks about friends, romance, and families in Sunset Valley. Learn how social interactions affect your Sim's life. Plus, we offer tips for getting your groove on with a significant other.

CHAPTER 7 - TOUR OF SUNSET VALLEY is where you'll find all of the necessary knowledge about Sunsey Valley.

CHAPTER 8 - DESIGN CORNER highlights some professional lots created by Sims expert specifically for TS3. Get your inspiration here!

CHAPTER 9 - OBJECT CATALOG contains every single object you can buy for your Sims. Prices, effects, and depreciation are all detailed in here.

CHAPTER 10 - COMMUNITY details everything you can do with the online world of TS3, such as share screenshots and videos of your Sim stories.

The life phases, at the default settings, last the following amount of time:

Toddler - 7 days
Child - 7 days
Teen - 14 days
Young Adult - 21 days
Adult - 21 days
Elder - 16 days minimum

And you're advised to keep your Sims happy as they close in on age transitions. If a toddler is happy or a child/teenager is getting good grades, you get to choose the extra traits. If they're not, the extra traits are selected at random, and you run the risk of being saddled with negative traits.

Most of us know that we can now use freeform placement and rotation for objects in TS3. This is done by holding down the Alt key while using the Hand tool. Did you also know the Sledgehammer has been upgraded to allow the deletion of multiple things at once? To delete multiple objects, click on an object you want to delete, then hold and drag over an area, and it will delete any objects within the highlighted area.

Moving your Sims onto beachfront lots brings with it a unique moodlet: Beautiful Vista, which gives them a major, permanent happiness bonus.

There are 21 available empty lots for you to build on. They are priced from $1200 at the cheapest, to $14,700 as the most expensive. The amount of space (in squares) for building goes from 19x29 at the smallest to 60x60 at the largest. The most expensive lot, 15 Summer Hill Court, is on the same hill and offers the same stunning vistas as the Alto estate. If you wish to build a house from scratch, you MUST build on these lots. You cannot place empty lots of your own wherever you please in TS3.

The guide assigns difficulty ratings (1-5, with 5 being the most difficult) to each pre-fab family. They are as follows:

Landgraab: 3
Langerak: 4
Bunch: 5
Alto: 3
Wolff: 2
Wainwright: 2
Jolina: 1
Single Moms: 4
Wan-Goddard: 2
Keaton: 2
Crumplebottom; 1
Ursine: 1
Frio: 2
Working Friends: 3
Kennedy; 1
Koffi: 1
Roomies: 4
Alvi: 3
Bachelor: 3
Clavell: 2
Hart: 3
Sekemoto: 3
Andrews: 2
Steel: 1
Goth: 3

CHEAT CODES:

help - lists all available commands at the moment

enablellamas on/off - gives a message that says 'Llamas enabled'

jokeplease - gives a random joke

fullscreen on/off - Toggles between full-screen and windowed mode

resetsim firstname lastname - resets the Sim with neutral motives, no moodlets, and teleports Sim back home

fps on/off - toggles framerate indicator in top right corner of screen

quit - exits the game

testingcheatsenabled - enables cheat functionality

kaching - gives $1,000 to active household

motherlode - adds $50,000 to active household

freerealestate - ignores the cost when buying a lot for the current game

shazaam - gives 2,500 lifetime happiness points to active sim

modify traits - allows you to set/clear traits

add to household - adds the active sim to the current household

set age - set the age of the sim

edit in cas - takes the sim back to Create-a-Sim allowing you to make full physical and personality changes

force opportunity - click on career building you work at to force an opportunity

force event - click on a career building you work at to force an event

force all events - click on a career building to display all events for the career consecutively

force service sim - forces a specific service sim to show up

force visitor - forces a neighbor of your choice to show up

make me know everyone - makes the selected sim know every other Sim in town

make friends for me - makes several random friends for the selected sim

set career - give the selected sim a career of your choice

make happy - sets all mood/moodlets for everyone in the house to perfect and removes negative moodlets

make motives static/dynamic - makes motives static/dynamic for the entire household

The 10 Skills and where you need to go to learn them:

Athletic - Llama Memorial Stadium
Charisma - City Hall
Cooking - Hogans Deep-Fried Diner or Little Corsican Bistro
Fishing - EverFresh Delights Supermarket
Gardening - Landgraab Industries Science Facility
Guitar - Wilsonoff Community Theater
Handiness - Fort Gnome Military Base
Logic - Landgraab Industries Science Facility
Painting - Community School for the Gifted
Writing - Doo Peas Corporate Towers

There is no way in heck I'm going to list all of the moodlets available. Suffice it to say, the developers have put a LOT of thought into them, both positive and negative modifiers, and there are, as I count, 180 in the game, ranging from Duck Time (Rubber duckies make hygenic cleansing fun!) to Out After Curfew! (being out after curfew is totally radical), to Garlic Breath (Whoa! It might be time to scrub away that garlic with a toothbrush) and Technophobia (Some Sims really can't stand watching the TV no matter the channel). I am stunned by how complex the moodlet system is.

On a similar note, I won't be listing each and every Wish, either. There are more than 500. Yes, 500 you can choose for your Sim. One I find interesting right off the bat, though, in looking at the first few listed, is a Divorce wish you may have available to you should your Sim be found in an unhappy marriage. Your Sim may want to end that marriage!

Pay rises don't stop when you reach the top of a given career ladder. Keep at it, and every time your performance meter fills, your Sim gets another raise. By this little perk, it's worth it to keep at a job, conceivably, until you kick over and die. Elder sims are no longer forced to retire. You can keep right on working until the Grim Reaper comes calling, if you like. Or, like in TS2, you can retire and live off of a pension based on your career and the career level you were at when you retired.

Every job brings with it inherent perks. These are no longer objects, but more new things you can do at work for very real benefits (like extra money, positive mood/moodlets, and new social interactions), and there are many of these for each career, rather than just one little benefit per career. These, too, I won't list for both the sheer number of them, as well as the fact that I don't want to spoil too much, either for you or myself!

Your kids can now get detention at school! If they are caught sleeping in class or copying homework (tasks you can assign your kids while they're at school), they'll be kept after school for a few hours, which can interfere with any part time job. While staying late, the student cannot chose their tone and they will not see any improvement in grades or performance. When detention is over, the schoolbus takes the student home.

Your kids may still bring home friends after school. They can also be invited over to another student's house to play. Students who go to each other's houses will live within a reasonable distance from each other. The closer the other student, the more likely the invitation is.

There are 79 different books you can buy from the bookstore, many of which bring skills and fulfill needs, as well as inspiring moodlets.

There are 29 different products you can buy from the Supermarket. These are not only produce, fish, meat and cheese, but also a number of housewares. You can also sell off your grown fruit and veg here for profit.

There are 15 different treatments you can have done to/for your Sim at the spa. These bring moodlets, some of which last for days and bring very real and measurable benefits for your Sims.

If a Service Sim your Sim knows dies, you can find their marker at the graveyard and bring it home, allowing their ghost to serve you for all eternity!

Death is final. But that does not mean they are necessarily gone forever. If you install a grave marker, your departed Sim will haunt the area around it, usually after around 11 PM. Ghosts can and will interact with objects on the lot, making noise and generally creeping out the living. Different sims have different reactions to ghosts or haunted objects, which ghosts may possess, causing chairs to levitate and things of that nature. Remember when I said death was final? Well, that's actually only 80% true. If a loved one dies and you have their marker, there is a chance you will get a call from the Landgraab Industries Science Facility. The scientists have found a way to reverse death! Choose the Restore Ghost option at the Science Facility to bring your loved one back from the dead. Sort of. It turns out technology isn't perfect. Your loved one is returned to you as a playable ghost. They appear as a selectable Sim, with all of the regular interactions and socials. They can develop skills, cook, and attempt to live a regular life in Sunset Valley. If the departed Sim is a young adult or adult, they can Woohoo and even Try for Baby. If a child is conceived, there is a chance it will be a Ghost Baby. You can actually start an entire ghost family this way. There is no mention as to whether or not ghosts have motive decay, but apparently they do get moodlets and wishes just like 'live' sims.

You can now engrave tombstones to chisel an epitaph of your choice.

Watching the most expensive TVs in high-definition gives the Pristine Picture moodlet.

Searching the galaxy with a telescope gives you a chance to find celestial bodies, for which you'll be rewarded with extra cash!

TS3 comes not only with the traditional light fixtures we've come to expect from Sim games, but also candles, which you can light or extinguish for ambient lighting. These cannot set your lot on fire, so you don't have to worry if you accidentally forget to blow one out.

Women (and men) love a man (or woman) in uniform. The military career brings with it an added perk: you'll unlock special interactions at your base, Show Sim the Jet and Show Sim the Spaceship, both of which will really boost your romance meter!

The fish available for capture in the game are:

Minnow
Anchovy
Goldfish
Alley Catfish
Jellyfish
Rainbow Trout
Red Herring
Tuna
Piranha
Tragic Clownfish
Siamese Catfish
Blowfish
Salmon
Black Goldfish
Shark
Swordfish
Angelfish
Vampire Fish
Robot Fish
Lobster
Deathfish

There are, apparently, four different HIDDEN traits in the game, all derived from having children with service sims. Those lucky children will earn special, unique traits based upon their parents.

If one of your Sims and the Burglar move in together and have kids, there is a chance your child will inherit a Sneaking trait from the Burglar. The Burglar can only use this when they reach a certain level in a certain branch of their career. The stealthy child, though, can use this at any time!

If you have a child with a Maid, there is a good chance the baby will have the Clean trait and not make messes.

Firefighters' kids can wind up with not one but TWO hidden traits: Immune to Fire or Pyromaniac (Sim can set things on fire)

The best-paying career, in terms of money earned per week, is the Medical career. Its top tier pays, at base level, before any pay rises, $9,600 per week.

There is NO Educational career.

Political Sims can, if they choose, walk a moral tightrope. Every so often, they will be asked if they want to transfer money from their campaign account into the household account. This is risky, and can either result in a significant financial boost, or being found out, disgraced, and expelled from the Political career!

Unlike TS2, households and Sims in your Sim Bin are not tied to the neighborhood they are created in. Any household or Sim in that bin can be moved to any neighborhood.

There are, by my count, 300 Opportunities, those neat little multiple-choice events that can happen to your Sim while on the job! These will allow your Sim to earn extra money, boost work performance, and earn all sorts of goodies. You can refuse to do them without consequence, some of them are timed, and you can only have one opportunity at a time going on.

The Guide highlights five of what they consider the best and most imaginative lots designed during the Creators' Camp (and now offered on the Exchange!). Each of them is, for uniqueness and sheer beauty, worth a look, and perhaps a download. They are:

Winsome Farmhouse by Parsimoniouskate
Le Grand Palace by Lightside
FoxGlen Manor by Sterling DT
The Cherry Tree Houses by Lightside
Richmond Manor by Estatica

There is a degree of randomness to your Sim babies. Even so, there are little things you can do to have a small influence on the development of the unborn child. Here's what can be done:

Number of Babies - Want twins or triplets? Watch the kids channel on TV or listen to the children's music station on the stereo. Doing either slightly increases your chance for multiples. Doing both at the same time really improves your chances of having twins or triplets.

Gender - Want a boy? Eat three apples during pregnancy to increase the chance of a bouncing baby boy. If you eat three servings of watermelon, it'll predispose your birth canal to girls.

Traits - The happier Mama is, the better. Massage away her backaches. Indulge her crazy food cravings. Pamper her at every chance, because if she's happy, you get to pick both traits for the baby when it's born. If she was pretty happy, you get to pick one and the other is randomized, and if she is unhappy, both are completely random and beyond your control. Just how unhappy she is will also bias the random pick towards decidedly negative traits, as well. You can also read the two pregnancy books from the bookstore, which will also increase your chances of getting to pick those two important traits when your son or daughter comes into the world.

Last edited by MTCason on Sat May 30, 2009 1:34 pm, edited 28 times in total.

Fri May 29, 2009 12:45 am
Sims Addict
Sims Addict

Name: Yasi
Post Re: Info From the Strategy Guide *SPOILERS*
Sounds good so glad I pre-ordered it. :smile2:

Fri May 29, 2009 12:50 am
Forum Friend
Forum Friend

Excellent! You will have to tell us all the good stuff!

Fri May 29, 2009 12:51 am
Roomie
Roomie

Kewl I might buy it! It's kinda too late to pre-order though.

GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Please click my eggs!And press warm them up(or feed my pokemon)! I always will click yours in return. Thanks! For the children... =D
ALSO YOU GET A FREE COOKIE! OM NOM NOM

[/url]

Fri May 29, 2009 12:52 am
Sims Addict
Sims Addict

Name: Yasi
OMG I think I'm going to love this forum topic, with all your updates. Many Many Thanks :grin:

Fri May 29, 2009 12:55 am
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Name: Heather
MTCason wrote:
CHAPTER 7 - TOUR OF SUNSET VALLEY is where you'll find all of the necessary knowledge about Sunsey Valley.

No tour of Riverview? :rolleyes:

MTCason wrote:
d you're advised to keep your Sims happy as they close in on age transitions. If a toddler is happy or a child/teenager is getting good grades, you get to choose the extra traits. If they're not, the extra traits are selected at random, and you run the risk of being saddled with negative traits.

This is stupid. It should be based on lifetime happiness, not the mood at the time of aging. Dumb.... :nono:

My $1200 custom built system:
AMD Athlon 64 x2 @3.2ghz, 8GB Dual-channel DDR1066 RAM, NVIDIA GTX260 Video Card with DDR3 896MB RAM, 500GB HDD, 750GB Secondary HDD, 800watt Apevia Power supply with blue LED,Custom case with blue LED's and LED Fan, 25" LCD Monitor
Note: You must have 64-bit Vista Ultimate to support the amount of RAM I have.

Fri May 29, 2009 12:58 am
Simmer
Simmer

Can someone do the math and tell me how long each lifestage would be on the long lifespan setting?

Last edited by Simtastic Voyage on Fri May 29, 2009 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri May 29, 2009 12:59 am
Forum Friend
Forum Friend

Name: Jennifer
Lucky! :spin:

Fri May 29, 2009 1:00 am
Profile WWW
Simmer
Simmer

Name: Kari
Wow, that sounds pretty cool. What was the Day in the life about?

I CANT WAIT TIL SIMS 3 :drool:

Fri May 29, 2009 1:01 am
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

I've updated the top with some things -I- found interesting. Thought I'd just keep that first post updated rather than risk things you might like getting lost amongst response posts, and forcing you to read through what could get to be a very large thread.

Fri May 29, 2009 1:06 am
Well-Known Sim
Well-Known Sim

Name: Tammy
By taking each age and dividing it by 90 (which is about what the default lifespan is) it gives me a percentage for each age group. So if I then times each percentage by 960 (what I've heard is the epic stage) I get:

Toddler: average 75 days
Child: average 75 days
Teen: average 150 days
Young Adult: average 225 days
Adult: average 225 days
Elder: average 170

That isn't perfectly 960, but you get the idea.

Team Waffles

Last edited by ka-tet428 on Fri May 29, 2009 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri May 29, 2009 1:06 am
Simsational Poster
Simsational Poster

Simtastic Voyage wrote:
Can someone do the math and tell me how long each lifestage would be on the long lifespan setting?

for Long it would be this
Toddler - 15 days
Child - 15 days
Teen - 30 days
Young Adult - 44 days
Adult - 44 days
Elder - 21 days minimum

person above did Epic

Last edited by fire331 on Sat May 30, 2009 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri May 29, 2009 1:07 am
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Updated with ... DUN DUN DUN! Cheat codes! And there are some GREAT new ones.

Fri May 29, 2009 1:19 am
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

This is so awesome! Thank you for sharing your info. I wish I had the guide, but I'm so excited that I can at least read some of its info. By any chance, is there anything in it about pregnancy? In a couple interviews it mentioned certain foods or tv shows affecting a baby's gender, so I thought the guide might mention it.

Edit: it lists every single moodlet your sim can have in the game??? :yikes: I'm so glad I preordered this guide. I never get the guides.

Last edited by intothethanasphere on Fri May 29, 2009 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri May 29, 2009 1:37 am
Profile WWW
Misplaced
Misplaced

Name: Ayo
Roleplay: Anya - Sam
this is awesome! you lucky duck lol.

EDIT: I'd like to know what it says about pregnancy also if it says anything at all.

Last edited by ayo on Fri May 29, 2009 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri May 29, 2009 1:37 am
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

intothethanasphere wrote:
This is so awesome! Thank you for sharing your info. I wish I had the guide, but I'm so excited that I can at least read some of its info. By any chance, is there anything in it about pregnancy? In a couple interviews it mentioned certain foods or tv shows affecting a baby's gender, so I thought the guide might mention it.

Edit: it lists every single moodlet your sim can have in the game??? :yikes: I'm so glad I preordered this guide. I never get the guides.

Indeedy do. It also lists all of the Wishes you can select, both the day-to-day kind, and Lifetime Wishes. Of the former, I stopped counting at 532. I cannot conceive ever running out of having something new to do/see in TS3, at this rate.

Fri May 29, 2009 1:42 am
Simmer
Simmer

Great info + thread! :excited:
Does this come with the game or do you have to order it by itself?

Fri May 29, 2009 1:47 am
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

I might have to find some money to pick this up. Sounds like it's worth it.

Fri May 29, 2009 1:49 am
Sim Goddess
Sim Goddess

Name: Shanna
Great, Good thing I got that added on extra to my pre-order!

Also, I thank you for not telling us too much. As I enjoy hearing useful info but I don't like having things spoiled. :smile2:

Fri May 29, 2009 1:53 am
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

umop apisdn wrote:
Great info + thread! :excited:
Does this come with the game or do you have to order it by itself?

You have to buy it extra. You can order it from the following site:
http://www.primagames.com/features/sims3/results.pperl

Suffice it to say, they're shipping the guides now for $19.99 USD apiece. My advice at this point (as the guide is backordered, so you probably won't get it until well after June 2 anyways) would probably be to wait until Tuesday, when you can buy a .PDF e-guide for $19.99, which you can then browse and review at your leisure. Most of the time, I'd go for the latter choice, but I figured with TS3, I'd pre-order the actual book, just in case it shipped earlier than June 2, which it did!

Larku wrote:
Great, Good thing I got that added on extra to my pre-order!

Also, I thank you for not telling us too much. As I enjoy hearing useful info but I don't like having things spoiled. :smile2:

I'm consciously skipping over the really in-depth stuff, as well. I don't want the surprises to be spoiled, either!

Last edited by Shadow on Fri May 29, 2009 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posts merged. - Shadow

Fri May 29, 2009 1:53 am
Reply to topic   [ 273 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next