View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:16 pm

Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Spring cleaning! 
Sim Goddess
Sim Goddess

Post Spring cleaning!
Attention all members: The other mods, snooty and I have all decided to do a majour forum clean for 2006 oh boy :smile: This is just giving you a heads up so don't be suprised if your post count and rank dramatically decreases sorry. The main reason we are doing this is because there a lot of locked topics and threads gathering dust and by deleting them this will make the forum a lot more cleaner and more easier for old and new members to search for stuff.

Things that will be deleted:
* locked threads (these are clogging up the boards and there is no need to have them anymore).
* useless posts (these are posts consiting of trolling, flaming and spamming. Not all off-topic posts will be deleted because we know you might have attacthed memories to them but just the ones that really break the rules).
*posts that were made years ago and got no replies.

(some things are still be discussed at the moment like on what to do with out-dated posts)

so if your posts don't meet any of those descriptions your safe :smile:

I'm keeping this thread open now for if you have any questions, please keep in mind if you go astray with it there will be consequences worse then this forum clean :laughing2:

Forum cleaning shall begin now. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

PS: please don't jump onto conclusions on what we are doing just yet, we kneed to sort some things out. Remember this is a small clean not the end of the world.

Last edited by Roxas on Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:25 pm
Sim God
Sim God

Name: Tom
ALL locked threads? Some of my favourite threads are locked ones, even if they can't be replied to any more, they can at least make for interesting reading. And I like to see old announcements, knowing what happened when, when I wasn't around and such. I'd be pretty upset at some of these going, and not because of my post count either. Why is this being done exactly?

Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:13 pm
come hither
come hither

yea same. but i can c why they'd wanna get rid of them. i do think it would be nicer to c sayyy 5 pages of topics instead of 20 through 100

Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:22 pm
Sim Goddess
Sim Goddess

ALL locked threads? Some of my favourite threads are locked ones, even if they can't be replied to any more, they can at least make for interesting reading. And I like to see old announcements, knowing what happened when, when I wasn't around and such. I'd be pretty upset at some of these going, and not because of my post count either. Why is this being done exactly?

look if it's really that important i'll leave the old announcements alone for now so you still have time to read, copy paste whatever you want with them :laughing2: like i said this forum is being cleaned mainly of locked topics that already have another subject and posts that violate the rules. It has been along time we have had a proper clean and we are mostly doing this to help people find certain topics easily without all the clutter.

Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:24 pm
Sim God
Sim God

So... is it all locked topics, or just the less relevant/interesting ones? I guess I'd be happier with the latter...

Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:32 pm
come hither
come hither

yea. i mean i don't c how it could really upset anyone. accept if they live for there post count and only post a whoollle bunch in the fun in games section only to c that there favorite topic that got locked due to the 1000 limit got removed or something

Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:49 pm
Friendly Neighbour
Friendly Neighbour

this seems like a good idea. But the ones about new mods are always fun to read :smile: those should stay!

but I like the idea, can't wait to see all the dust you pick up!

<b><font color="#000000"><a href="http://www.thesims3world.com/index.php"><font color="#000000">The Sims 3 World!</font></a></b>.

Visit The Sims 3 World for everything you need to know about The Sims 3, check us out!

Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:01 pm
Profile WWW
Sim Goddess
Sim Goddess

So... is it all locked topics, or just the less relevant/interesting ones? I guess I'd be happier with the latter...

Just ones that are pretty much useless for still being here (locked either because they all ready had a subject on the question or because they ended up in terrible fights, why would you still want those here?). You know you could make my job a bit easier if you went through all the old announcements and told me which ones you really want to keep :smile:

Quote:
yea. i mean i don't c how it could really upset anyone. accept if they live for there post count and only post a whoollle bunch in the fun in games section only to c that there favorite topic that got locked due to the 1000 limit got removed or something

well that limit only applies to things in fun and games, snooty made that rule.

Quote:
this seems like a good idea. But the ones about new mods are always fun to read those should stay!

but I like the idea, can't wait to see all the dust you pick up!

yes i'd have a feeling that would be a bad idea but like I said to bonkywop just tell me which ones you'd prefer to keep or go and i'll see what I can do about it.

Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:12 pm
Sim God
Sim God

Just ones that are pretty much useless for still being here (locked either because they all ready had a subject on the question or because they ended up in terrible fights, why would you still want those here?)

Eh, threads that descended into pointless flamewars are usually my favourites. Or, at least the most interesting to read. I can see why some would want them deleted, but I'd be pretty devestated to lose them.

jusinbuzz wrote:
You know you could make my job a bit easier if you went through all the old announcements and told me which ones you really want to keep :smile:

Well, there's no specific ones I want to keep, I just don't get why any of them need deleting. And I don't know where to find old announcements and the like anyway. I only encounter them by chance now and then. I'd like to be able to keep track of the history of the place if I wanted to, is all.

Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:28 pm
Sim Goddess
Sim Goddess

jusinbuzz wrote:
Just ones that are pretty much useless for still being here (locked either because they all ready had a subject on the question or because they ended up in terrible fights, why would you still want those here?)

Eh, threads that descended into pointless flamewars are usually my favourites. Or, at least the most interesting to read. I can see why some would want them deleted, but I'd be pretty devestated to lose them.

jusinbuzz wrote:
You know you could make my job a bit easier if you went through all the old announcements and told me which ones you really want to keep :smile:

Well, there's no specific ones I want to keep, I just don't get why any of them need deleting. And I don't know where to find old announcements and the like anyway. I only encounter them by chance now and then. I'd like to be able to keep track of the history of the place if I wanted to, is all.

well keeping flamewars ain't giving our site a good reputation :nono: and i would be pretty upset if people had the chance to see me fight and get in to trouble, wouldn't you? like said i said before copy/paste them in to a word file so on all you can still laugh at their own humiliation in the privacy of your laptop without those embaressing threads still being hear.

if you want to find them why don't you go and click the last page cause there are millions there. you have a week, i suggest you use your time wisely :grumpy: (i'm not exactly happy with them being deleted either but they are only gonna collect dust, i'll see what I can do but no promises so stop acting like i'm a grumpy old villian forceing this conspiracy upon you).

Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:45 pm
Still a Sim Goddess
Still a Sim Goddess

Eh. Seems pretty silly to me to be honest. I don't see any harm in the locked threads/ out dated threads. You say they collect dust, but really... they don't haha.

Every single forum has flame wars every now and then I don't think it hinders our reputation none anyway. And every forum if you look back has locked threads. It's kind of fun to go back to look. Not the same saving them to your computer thats for sure.

The old threads are like archives of better days.

Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:00 am
Profile WWW
Sim Goddess
Sim Goddess

Eh. Seems pretty silly to me to be honest. I don't see any harm in the locked threads/ out dated threads. You say they collect dust, but really... they don't haha.

Every single forum has flame wars every now and then I don't think it hinders our reputation none anyway. And every forum if you look back has locked threads. It's kind of fun to go back to look. Not the same saving them to your computer thats for sure.

The old threads are like archives of better days.

yeah well whats even sillier is keeping the locked threads, seriously why do you want to read somthing thats says "umm when does OFB come out?" "there's already a thread on this! *locked* :grumpy: " or "I hate you jessy you :censored: " i'm not saying that's going to wreck our reputation but why don't you give me a good reason why we should keep somthing like that? unless your a demon that feeds on hate :devil:

But i get why you all don't want out dated threads to be deleted, that's why i have asked for an archive section so that all the old threads can be moved there for the benefit of people reading them and that way the other threads are clean aswell :smile: but the desision is up to snooty not me so quit arguing with me or i'm gonna have to lock this thread for my own protection :laughing2:

Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:28 am
Custom Title
Custom Title

doesn't more things=less space on a host?
A more money=more space??
Remember the google ad thingy snooty put on his site? so he can learn and it also pays for the site. It allows that to pay for the site. Ya we know snooty has the money right now but the future might be getting huge?

So by del the locked, etc things we save more space and room for extra things? Unless snooty has inf amount of space for the least amount of money

Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:52 am
Profile WWW
Still a Sim Goddess
Still a Sim Goddess

unless your a demon that feeds on hate

No. But I do like the idea for an archive.

I just find it a waste of time to delete threads that probably don't take up much space on the server/ host/ whatever. If anything it's the actual site that probably takes up the most space, not the forum.

As much as I hate it say it, this place isn't totally crazy active with totally crazy amount of members. So I really don't see how deleting locked/ out dated threads could really make a difference, especially when the forum isn't that huge.

I mean I can understand deleting locked threads. But I really don't understand deleting out dated threads though. Where do you draw the line? What will make a thread out dated? Are you going into Chatter box and deleting old news reports that arn't relevent to the present? I'm sure I have a topic in there about changing my hair. Is that thread being deleted since I don't have that kind of hair anymore and is therefore "out dated?"

I mean look at Mike's forum. They have far more people, far more threads and posts and yet Mike has not had to resort to deleting locked/ out dated threads.

Thats whats silly about it. It seems like a waste of time to me.

Edit: And by no means am I telling you not to do it. You guys are the mods and it's your descion. But I just wanted to put my input into it.

Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:12 am
Profile WWW
Sim Goddess
Sim Goddess

Thats whats silly about it. It seems like a waste of time to me.

Edit: And by no means am I telling you not to do it. You guys are the mods and it's your descion. But I just wanted to put my input into it.

lol maybe we are just bored and actually want to clean :laughing2: no it's ok to have your input, otherwise i would have locked this thread from the beggining and i understand what you mean. What I ment by out-dated though was threads asking when the sims 2 would come out or old announcements and issues that were solved years ago on this site such as:
http://www.snootysims.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=245
http://www.snootysims.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2834
http://www.snootysims.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3036
http://www.snootysims.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=876

And that's just a smidget of them in the forum and site discussion area. I mean we could have them in an archive but don't you think it's better to save as much money as we can? after all we don't pay the sites bills, snooty does.

Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:00 am
Custom Title
Custom Title

Why should "we" compare mikes modthesims 2 host with snooty's host? Thier host offers tones more and they split their servers/sites/hosts/etc up to many pcs right? Think that's how the sims2community site got started cuz it was over flowing. So different. That's why delphy keeps updating the hosts. And they have a donation thingy for all his sites/subs plus they have a sponser with thos ads and lets people buy a slot to help the server run. Doesn't mike use the upgraded servers too? Also snooty has tons of pages for hist site compared to a couple that mike has. Mike is more towards a forum while snooty is more towards news/pictures/etc and a forum. So you can't really compare them. So uh want to donate to snooty?
So if you compare go here
http://www.modthesims2.com/donate.php
that's modthsims2 upkeep.
They host everything that uses the modthesims2.com and compare snooty's uh 1google ad.
Here's the computers they use
http://www.modthesims2.com/donate.php?do=tech
snooty has 1 computer server.
If mike still uses delpy servers thats what happens. If not then I have no clue what mike uses just i know he uses the
mikeinside.modthesims2.com/forum/index.php that uses the main server domain

Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:45 pm
Profile WWW
Custom Title
Custom Title

Name: Dee
I see some of the threads affected me. I must of lost 400 post or something like that. and I have not even been posting lately, so i guess most of my post from last year and the year before have been done away with.

Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:46 pm
Profile YIM
Sim God
Sim God

Often when I am having a debate I will come here and look up my old posts to see what arguments I used and how my opinions have changed. And even more importantly than that, just to reminisce on old conversations and threads like how I got to know my fiancee. It would be a terrible shame if all that were to be lost.

If space and speed is such a desperate issue now, you can use phpMyAdmin to make a backup of all the posts here, and if you could transfer that file to me, I would be willing to set up a blank forum and put all the old posts in it as an archive.

If it is bandwidth which is the issue, deleting old posts will do almost nothing to help that.

If all that is being deleted is the locked topics with a post or two asking a question, I don't think anyone will have a problem with that. But if you are deleting old threads from areas like Chatterbox that had productive discussion in them, even if in the end they had to be locked because of arguments, then I would be very disappointed.

Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:20 pm
Custom Title
Custom Title

I agree with mikeinside completely. If the majority of people here want to delete things, I guess we could filter through all the blank topics, but I'd prefer is nobody deleted things from Chatterbox.. it's nice to look back there and remember the past.
And if that does nothing whatsoever.. I think the backup idea would be great. It could be a fresh start without actually losing anything.

Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:05 pm
Custom Title
Custom Title

It could be a fresh start without actually losing anything.

Post counts :P
Everybody pm me and everything saying they don't want to loose their post count. And others are saying everytime they search it's very frustrating and they spend days and they rather ask a quest and it then becomes a dup. Also people are telling me that these "fights" make their friends not come on while others love the fights cuz they can always go back in time and go omfg he did that. etc, etc.

I dunno but i keep getting mixed people. Most want them out but others want their post counts.
I just want all the silly locked things out so it's easier for ME to find solutions for people asking and for me as well. Hate reading 20 locked threads on 1 thing. You know.
I don't think bandwidth is the issue cuz the forum is always fast.

Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:19 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 68 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next